ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

markers in precomps will not update in main comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Schiedelmarkers in precomps will not update in main comp
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:21:10 pm

Hi everyone,
I am doing some character animation in AE and having a challenge with markers. I've set up a layered Photoshop file for the character and imported it into AE as a composition. In this composition I precompose some of the layers together to make things easier to handle; for example, all the layers related to the head such as eyes, blinks, face, hair, etc. Then I open this head composition and work on lipsynch and facial animation. I am adding markers in this head precomp to give me visual cues about synchronizing mouth shapes and adding facial expressions. All this is working fine.

The problem is when I go back into the main comp- those markers are not carried over, which is frustrating because I'd like to still use them as reference points for beats when animating the body parts. It doesn't matter if they are layer markers or composition markers, if added to a precomp they don't show up.

In short, if you FIRST create a comp and add composition markers and THEN bring it into another comp it's markers are carried over, but not when you precompose. I understand that this how things are set up in AE, only it's working against my workflow- any suggestions or workarounds?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: markers in precomps will not update in main comp
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:24:44 pm

If you're using CS3 (or maybe CS4) you're in luck. Just select the nested pre-comp, right-click a marker and select "delete all markers", then alt+drag the pre-comp from the project window into the comp window. This is normally used to replace footage but it also updates the comp markers in nested pre-comps (layer markers won't show in a nested pre-comp).

Unfortunately, in CS5 this no longer works. Not sure about CS4. I used this function quite a bit myself so it's on my complaints list for CS5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved