ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Only process footage within comp frame during render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter AndersenOnly process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:35:49 pm

Hello

I need a script or something to split large composition into smaller sub-compositions in AE, anyone know where I can find this kind of script?

Example.

I have a composition, a "board" size 5000x5000px with som text and videos on it. I imported it into a composition that's only 1050x576px with a camera and make it 3D so i can move the camera around on the "board"

The problem is that I, most of the time only see 1050x576px of large "board". BUT AE still render/work/thinks on hole "Board" even that you can't see it.

Is there a way to tell AE, only to render/work on that piece of the composition you can see in the composition viewer??

OR

a way to split up my 5000x5000px "board" into small compositions and collect and align them again, in the 1050x576px composition like puzzle, so I can turn some of the puzzlebrick off when the camera can't see them??

write if, anyone need me too explain it better.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Only process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 5:06:24 pm

Don't know for sure, but couldn't you draw a Region of Interest around the edge of the Comp window?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Peter AndersenRe: Only process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:04:12 am

Already tried that - no success. I rendered out a 5000x5000px comp, and importeded the 5000x5000px into a 1050x576 comp and made the Region of interest around the edge of the comp window. No change :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Only process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:53:20 pm

Prerender the 5000x5000 comp. Life instantly gets easier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter AndersenRe: Only process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:32:54 am

your right, pre-rendering it's a good idea, but i stll get's a 5 mins. 5000x5000px quicktime file, and that's still a large file to play around with in after effects.

because after effects still need to think over a 5000x5000px video in a 1050x576px comp.

The golden answer would be "What you see, it's what you render"

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Only process footage within comp frame during render
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:58:40 pm

I'm pretty sure AE doesn't render the whole 5k^2 when you put it inside a smaller comp. However AE will need a memory buffer for the whole 5k comp as it can't predict what you intend to do with it.

Some options:

As mentioned by Dave, do a proxy render. While working on the project do a 1/4th or 1/9th size proxy.
You'll probably want to use some kind of compression even for the final proxy to keep the filesize down. A jpg sequence might be an idea, that way you can alter parts of it later if you need.
Make sure you turn on proxies in your render settings, or they will be ignored.

When you know how you're going to move the camera around, you can cut individual layers short in the 5k comp so AE doesn't need to load them into memory when they're not needed. You'll have to do this manually.

Lastly you could change the size of the 5k comp to 1050x576, and either use a camera, or parent your layers to a null and move the null around.
This will definitely render much faster, but may or may not be practical depending on what's in the comp and how you've put it together.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]