ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Object placement when zooming with active camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark McGrotty
3D Object placement when zooming with active camera
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:08:37 pm

Hi,

I am looking for an answer to this question that has been driving me mad for the past 3/4 hours. When I have a 3D Object that is sitting behind another 3D Object the placement of it changes when I zoom in using a 35mm Camera parented to Null.

Is there a way to get perfect placement of the two 3D objects, one sitting behind the other? It is fine when at wide angle, but when I zoom in it all goes wrong! I have attached a few screen shots to help explain what I am dealing with.

Many thanks in advance.

screenshot2011-02-01at15.03.30.png

screenshot2011-02-01at15.03.43.png

screenshot2011-02-01at15.03.52.png

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: 3D Object placement when zooming with active camera
on Feb 1, 2011 at 5:59:31 pm

Do you have 2d layers in between 3d layers? That can give you strange results. Make sure that all 3d layers are grouped together.
Also, turn OpenGl off.
What version of AE and what OS/machine you running this on?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mark McGrotty
on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:58:30 am

Hi Ted,

Thanks for getting back to me. All layers are 3D with no 2D in between.

I was having some scaling issues when I pre-comp(ed) the individual bars. They always end up larger than before, so I moved the z-position back a touch to line it up. Think it may be this coupled with the short focal length of the camera I'm using increasing the space between the layers that's causing all the trouble.

If I include the building outline in the pre-comp, do you think this will sort it out?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 1, 2011 at 7:44:40 pm

Are they clipping during motion or just zoomed in? If that's the case, check if one of them has motion blur enabled and the other doesn't.

By the look of your SS's I presume that the white building stroke is beginning to show? is that it? If so, the layers don't seem to be rightly placed in the same position on Z. They should have the same Z position so that what will determine what's in front is the topmost layer in the timeline.

Follow Ted's tips, also make sure you don't have any photoshop styles applied.

Return to posts index

Mark McGrotty
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:03:10 am

Hi Cassius,

There are no photoshop styles applied, all artwork was created using Illustrator. Will place both layers on the same z-position and place the building outline above as you said. Think that should work.

Forgot to mention above that this is in AE CS5 on Mac OS 10.6

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]