ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting/converting 32-bit video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua MannsExporting/converting 32-bit video
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 10:57:27 am

I have a project which is set to 32-bit color in order to get a desired look from glows & some blowout areas. In AE, this is all well and good...

My issue is that I need to create an 8-bit (Quicktime) video that looks like the 32-bit project. I know that I'll likely get a little color banding, but I at least want the blowout areas and overall look to be there.
How can I do this?

Exporting as a traditional quicktime (animation codec) is producing 8-bit results where everything is diminished greatly... I've exported as Open EXR sequence, but that doesn't do me too much good since I'd still have to re-export that eventually anyway.

This video HAS to be quicktime animation codec (client req). Please advise.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Exporting/converting 32-bit video
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 1:14:06 pm

When you render to QT animation 8bit, make sure that "Convert to linear light" is off for 32 bit ( in Output Module Settings/Color Management). This should take care of the problem.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joshua MannsRe: Exporting/converting 32-bit video
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:45:21 pm

Thanks for the info - unfortunately, while the video looks fine when played in QT, it still doesn't look right when re-imported to AE unless I make it a 32-bit project. I hope that makes sense. Any reason that you think it may be doing this?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:27:43 pm

Any more advice on this? Just a recap... I tried turning off "Convert to linear...." in the output module and I still have the same issue.

I've tried outputting with the project's current color depth (32) and it looks fine in QT, but washed out/not bright enough in AE.... so then I tried outputting with a forced 8-bit color depth in the output settings, and it looks washed out in both QT & AE.

I hope I'm just missing something simple....otherwise, this is proving to be a major headache.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:54:19 pm

Figured out the problem! The issue is exporting with an alpha channel. If it just exported without the alpha, or with the alpha straight instead of premultiplied (in the output settings), then it looks great as an 8-bit video.

I didn't use the convert to linear light, but I'm sure that has its uses elsewhere...

Thanks, and I hope this helps someone else too.

Return to posts index

Martin StaceyRe: Exporting/converting 32-bit video
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:42:18 pm

hmm, i still can't get it to render what it looks like in AE from a 32bit comp to an 8bit codec. it clips everything to 0 and 1. surely there's a way to map the over brights into an 8 bit codec?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved