ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shoot Up and Land Hard

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Leo
Shoot Up and Land Hard
on Feb 1, 2011 at 6:47:55 am

Hi. This is Ian. I am looking for a method in After Effects to create sort of a fly up effect like if you got shot by a wizard spell, you fly up. And then you land pretty hard, basically landing. Is there a way to do this in After Effects effects WITHOUT using the Rotobrush tool? Thanks! :)
Here's an example (Skip to 1:18 of the video):

Thanks again! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Shoot Up and Land Hard
on Feb 1, 2011 at 7:40:34 am

There are a few ways, but I am afraid they all involve either extensive production or post production.
1. You can shoot the actor that is blown away by the spell on chroma and have him/her act out being hit by the spell and then jump a bit backwards and drop on some soft shock absorbent surface(pillows, mattress) covered in chroma cloth. Then you can comp in AE, pull the key and enhance the move animating the actor so that it seems that the move is much faster and the jump goes farther back.
2. You can hire a stunt man/crew and shoot the whole scene with the stunt guy being pulled by a chord and then add fx in post for the spell/smoke...
3. Or, you can create a virtual double in 3D, map a custom made texture from photos of the actor on the 3d model, animate in 3d and composite and ad effects in AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ian Leo
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:40:08 am

Hi, thank you. But I don't quite understand the last part, did you mean make a 3d model of the actor? If so, may I know which software is useful for that? Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:50:51 am

In a professional production studio they would either use their own software or Maya/Max. A whole team of people would model, texture and then animate the virtual double. There may be motion capture involved. You may get away by using Poser.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]