Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s

I was so excited to use AE CS5 with the activating Multiprocessing on.

I have tried several tests and the fastest previews for me is just to turn it off. I have stop watched most variations of multiprocessing and they are all considerbly slower.

We are talking 4,8 maybe 12 times slower.

Am I missing something?

My test is a CGI comp of 5 streams of TGA footage 2000x2000 25fps + a few minor CC effects

Please help

Thanks
Ben

Ben Le Tourneau

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 AE running crazy slow when activating Multiprocessing
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:32:43 pm

[ben le tourneau] "My test is a CGI comp of 5 streams of TGA footage 2000x2000 25fps + a few minor CC effects"

Some effects are not compatible with multiprocessing [link] and disable it. Are you using anything on the list?

Are you leaving enough RAM and a processor or two free? Have you tried the recommended multiprocessing settings [link]?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: CS5 AE running crazy slow when activating Multiprocessing
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:33:52 pm

Walter is correct, you need to understand the Memory and Multiprocessing settings, so check out the documentation link he provided. Make sure you're running the latest update to CS5 (mine is 10.01.19)

Effects, Comp dimensions, footage type and use of expressions can all affect the requirements for RAM preview.

I have the same MacPro configured with 32 GB of RAM. Not all projects RAM preview faster and your memory and processor settings may need to be tweaked for each type of project. Experience has shown that there is no "one-size-fits-all" setting to achieve the fastest preview. My current settings are faster for the work I'm doing now, you'll need to experiment.

Multiprocessing takes a few moments to spawn each process, the more processes, the more time it takes to start up. You'll notice a shorter delay with 6 CPUs for MP and a much longer one for 20 CPU's. Try to find the sweet spot for your project.

I use this script to adjust some settings on the fly : http://aescripts.com/throttle-n-purge/

Here are my current settings:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5 AE running crazy slow when activating Multiprocessing
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:27:35 pm

in addition to walter's suggestions, '5 streams of tga footage 2000x2000 25fps' brings considerable bandwidth into equation.

if these files aren't on a fast drive bus, then you may get limited benefit from multiprocessing for this project.

if you wanted to try and figure out the benefits of multi-processing, you might want to try comps that have more processing, versus one that relies more on drive data rate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:44:14 pm

[Kevin Camp] "in addition to walter's suggestions, '5 streams of tga footage 2000x2000 25fps' brings considerable bandwidth into equation."

I foolishly glossed over this on my first response, but this is almost certainly the problem.

Trying to pull 30 (5 streams * 6 processes) streams of uncompressed 2k frames from a single drive at the same time will kill your render time. The disk simply can't keep up.

I have a big, fast RAID, and when I have a lot of image sequence layers going, the renders become disk-bound instead of CPU- or RAM-bound.

I recommend installed MenuMeters [link] so you can monitor your CPU, RAM, and disk usage during renders. If you're even a little bit technical, you'll find out where the bottleneck is pretty quickly.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

ben le tourneauRe: CS5 AE running crazy slow when activating Multiprocessing
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:17:02 pm

Thanks all for your responses

I have done the test without any FX what so ever and I'm still getting the same result. I'm currently waiting on 3 additional 7200rpm drives so that I can Raid 0 them. (Hurry delivery men)

Anyway I know how painful it is to read such crazy data from a single drive but I'm surprised that by activating the multiprocessing tab it can seriously cause performance issues on playback.

I certainly getting adequate Ram previews when it's deactivated.

Is this normal?

Thanks all

Ben Le Tourneau

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:20:16 pm

[ben le tourneau] "I have done the test without any FX what so ever and I'm still getting the same result. I'm currently waiting on 3 additional 7200rpm drives so that I can Raid 0 them. (Hurry delivery men)"

Don't forget something to back it all up to -- in RAID 0, a single drive failure will destroy all the data on the set.

[ben le tourneau] "Anyway I know how painful it is to read such crazy data from a single drive but I'm surprised that by activating the multiprocessing tab it can seriously cause performance issues on playback."

What do you mean by "performance issues on playback?"

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:39:42 pm

Sorry wrong wording, When I deselect multiprocessing and then RAM preview, my preview performance is pretty good to be precise 2 seconds to cache 50frames of thh TGA comp no FX. However with the Multiprocessing on its averaging around 40 seconds to ram preview the same 50 frame 5 part TGA comp. (no FX)

Which seemed strange. (is this normal?)

And noted on the Raid 0 warning, I'm going to use an external Lacie to Back up every night using Carbon copy.

Thanks again

Ben Le Tourneau

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:54:52 pm

[ben le tourneau] "When I deselect multiprocessing and then RAM preview, my preview performance is pretty good to be precise 2 seconds to cache 50frames of thh TGA comp no FX. However with the Multiprocessing on its averaging around 40 seconds to ram preview the same 50 frame 5 part TGA comp. (no FX) Which seemed strange. (is this normal?)"

I think it's the same disk bandwidth issue. With multiprocessing on, 6 different instances of the AE renderer are each trying to read 5 TGA files per frame, and the disk cannot keep up with the demand. With multiprocessing off and only a single instance requesting frames, the workload is much more manageable and the disk can operate more efficiently.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5 AE running crazy slow when activating Multiprocessing
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:56:59 pm

mp only going to be helpful in processing data, like processing effects, blending modes, motion blur... things like that.

for just playback of footage, mp could possibly hurt performance, being ae will need to save an instance of the project and load it into every core, before it can start to process. then it needs to keep pushing multiple frames out to each cpu and then compile everything back into a single stream for preview.

so in a situation where there is no effects on the footage(s) there is a lot of extra stuff going on with very little processing, and i could see that having mp on, would hurt performance.

mp is really designed to help with processing heavy renders. for renders with a lot of effects is where you'll see a big difference. if you are doing basic compositing or color correcting, you may benefit more from fast drives.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:01:58 pm

Hello All

Thanks so much, I will wait with bated breath for my new drives and hope all will be sorted.
Once again cheers

Ben Le Tourneau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]