ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quicktime Export will not obey bitrate settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake mendez
Quicktime Export will not obey bitrate settings
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:09:17 pm

I did a search and could not find a solution elsewhere, so maybe someone can shed some light. When exporting my after effects MOVS (animation) as x264, it will always shoot out a file with 2600 kbs bitrate. only when i shoot really low, inputting 600 kbs, it will shoot out a SLIGHTLY lower bitrate compression, around 2100 kbs. messing with the other settings (keyframe, quality) to no avail. the advanced settings beyond the first screen are greek to me, so im not sure what to do with those. anyone have any thoughts? thanks in advance.

-just realized if i shoot for 200 kbs, i can get an export that is 1700 kbs, which is acceptable, but still dont know why this is happening

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quicktime Export will not obey bitrate settings
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:18:18 pm

If you're on AE 10, which is 64-bit, you may be have problems with QT export (32-bit). The solution: render high-quality in AE, use something else to do the compression to your codec of choice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jake mendez
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:24:42 pm

I am using CS4, which is v9 if im not mistaken.

-compressor did the job, but id prefer to export with QT if i can

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:22:42 pm

[Jake mendez] "...id prefer to export with QT if i can..."

I'd say you'd be doing yourself and you hard work in AE no favors. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jake mendez
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:29:16 pm

I just meant i like to compress into x264s with quicktime. Luckily, that was one of the first lessons i learned in AE, i never render as anything except HQ animation. i just like to use quicktime to export those files into x264s, since im watching playback in QT anyway. but using compressor worked great, when i need a strict bitrate i will use that. thanks for the help dave, i love perusing these forums during my render times, and have definitely learned a great deal, so thanks everyone!

-Jake
http://www.shiny.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]