ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Roughen Edges on Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alisa PlacasRoughen Edges on Text
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 6:27:53 pm

I am creating an animated document. I have a handwritten sort of font and the text is fading on letter by letter. There is also a camera move.

I've used the 'roughen edges' effect to give the text a more natural look. However, when the camera is moving, I can see the roughen edge effect cycling through and creating a jittering edge to the text. In the past, I've taken a still from a 'roughen edges' comp and animated the still. But because the text is animating on, this is not an option.

Is there a way to get the 'roughen edges' effect to remain static? I have tried turning "Cycle Evolution" off already.
Or is there another effect I can use?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Roughen Edges on Text
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:29:28 pm

How does the text animate on? if it does not move- it fades in one letter at a time, then just animate and apply the roughen edges in a comp and then position that comp in 3d space. The edges will not move

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Alisa PlacasRe: Roughen Edges on Text
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:27:47 am

Yes, that is the way I am animating my text on.
I've tried what you suggested.

In my subcomp, I have 2D text animating on and with the roughen edges effect applied. When I put it into a 3D comp, the precomped layers are not reacting to the camera. They want to be 3D.

When they are 3D layers in the precomp. And then the precomp is animated via a camera, the roughen edges effect ripples through.

My present work around is to create a still of all the text (with roughen edges applied) and then animate the text on via blurred masks.
It's not quite as nice as the blur on by letter text effect, but it is close.

I guess I have the same question for other effects, like "brush strokes." Is it possible to have brush strokes or roughen edges remain a STATIC effect rather than cycling through?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Roughen Edges on Text
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:21:10 am

If your text is a 2d layer, animated and with roughen edges applied, then if you pre comp and turn on the 3d for the pre comp layer the roughen edges will not move- just did a test.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Alisa PlacasRe: Roughen Edges on Text
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:32:02 pm

Thanks, for the help, Ted!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]