ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Syncronising music to pre-animated or filmed footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james moniSyncronising music to pre-animated or filmed footage
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 12:53:40 am

Is there any posts on this forum or anyone with good advice on how to do this?

Lets say I have a line animation and keys are like roughly every "0.5" second for like... 10 seconds.

And I open that up in a new composition. is there a way I can control the play back?

I'm open to plug-ins and techniques. anything.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Syncronising music to pre-animated or filmed footage
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 1:45:04 am

If the animation is fixed, then you need to recompose the music. You can use a program like ACID (Sony) or other programs to play with the tempo to hit the animation beats. You're not going to do it in AE.

When I use stock music for corporate work, I first edit. Then I'lll tweak the music in my NLE (Vegas) and sound design program (Sound Forge). I'll cut on phrases and remove or repeat whole sections of the song to get it pretty close length wise to my cut. Then I'll tweak my edit for a little better fit. This gives pretty good results.

Beyond this you have diminishing returns.

Again, not related to AE at all.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Syncronising music to pre-animated or filmed footage
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 8:46:57 pm

Cory's advice is good for tweaking the audio to match the video. You can also go the other direction and tweak the video to match the audio. If you make small, subtle adjustments to speed of video playback using time-remapping, you can have the visual elements "hit" on certain parts of the music. This is often the way to go if the audio that you're working with is a song that everyone knows, so adjustments to the audio would be obvious.

It can be handy to view the audio waveform (by pressing LL) so that you can align items in the video track to the audio.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved