ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Volker Schanbacher'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:15:41 pm

When I upgraded from AE CS4 to AE CS5 (Mac) I found a change in a feature of the Color Management tab of the "Interpret Footage" dialog box that is a real problem for me.

When I import HD footage (1920x1080) in various video formats (usually previously created in AE) then it is no longer possible for certain formats to assign a profile in the color management tab. (Similar applies also for PAL size etc.)

These formats include: Quicktime/H264, Quicktime/PhotoJPEG, DVCPRO HD 1080p30. For F4V, H264 (standalone) the "interpret footage" was greyed out also in AE CS4.

For some video formats I am still able to assign a color profile, these include Quicktime/JPEG2000, Quicktime/Motion JPEG A, Quicktime/Motion JPEG B, Quicktime/MPEG-4, Quicktime/Animation (as well as for all image sequences).

For the video formats for which "interpret footage" was greyed out it says "Embedded Profile: HDTV (Rec. 709) Y'CbCr".
Now this color profile was definitely not the one I assigned to the videos in the output module when I initially created them, I created them for example with sRGB or Adobe RGB(1998).

Therefore, AE CS5 must assign as a default the HDTV (Rec. 709) color profile for videos with formats Quicktime/H264, Quicktime/PhotoJPEG, DVCPRO HD 1080p30, F4V, etc. I did not find anything of this assignment in the "interpretation rules.txt" file, therefore it must be written into the programme itself.

The reason why this is a problem is that now with AE CS5 I get color shifts since I no longer can assign the proper color profile with which the video was originally created. (This makes it complicated due to the gamma shift bug on Macintosh.)

Does anyone know why Adobe made this change, is it a bug, or does it have a deeper reason.

In this context I have a related question, often I read that Quicktime videos have a gamma tag. Does this mean that part of the color profile (the gamma value) is actually embedded/remembered, like you have it for images where the gamma is part the embedded color profile.

I use AE CS5 on Mac Pro 2009 with OS 10.5.8.

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Volker

Return to posts index

David MatityahuRe: 'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:45:02 pm

hi Volker,
i bumped into the same issue. did you solve it?

David.

Return to posts index

Volker SchanbacherRe: 'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:09:27 pm

We should submit to Adobe a Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

The issue is not resolved.

I have also posted a message on the Adobe Forum at:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/852340?decorator=print&displayFullThread=tru...

called: "Possibility to assign a color profile in the color management tab for more video formats"

The answers were interesting, but as long as Adobe does not change the feature, it is not possible to make the choice of colour profiles in the interpret footage, as I would like it to have.
Volker

Return to posts index

David MatityahuRe: 'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:52:00 pm

do you know if maybe in CS5.5 this issue is resolved?

Return to posts index

Volker SchanbacherRe: 'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:43:03 pm

I don't have After Effects CS5.5.

It seems somewhat unlikely that they resolved it in CS5.5, since I did not see it in the review of new features/improvments and also it is something they might have either done for some reason (when going from CS4 to CS5) or they simply did not mind it.
Volker

Return to posts index

Mark LoflinRe: 'interpret footage' greyed out in AE CS5 (Mac) for videos, but not in CS4
by on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:58:37 pm

It is still the same in CC. Makes it real difficult to work with Sony sLog footage...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]