ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animated Heart

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin McKayAnimated Heart
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:36:07 pm

Hi,

I am editing a music video. I need the spray painted heart (hopefully embedded below) in this still from a shot to come to life and "beat". It doesn't have to become realistic or morph into a real heart. We want it to stay true to the original art. Any ideas? Help or tips/tricks? Thanks in advance.

-Ben

"Cult Of One"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animated Heart
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:48:30 pm

AE has a few effects that might suit your needs under the Distort category. I'd probably start with Mesh Warp. If the heartbeat audio is consistent -- the beat doesn't speed up or slow down -- you could even use a Loop Out expression to avoid creating tons of keyframes.

Now, if the camera moves during this shot, your task becomes a LOT tougher and far more time-consuming. You need to know that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin McKayRe: Animated Heart
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:55:24 pm

Thanks for the response!

The shot is locked off (thank god)...Pardon my ignorance, but what is a loop out expression and how do I go about performing that?

Also, where would you start with the mesh warp. Should I isolate the functioning parts of the heart and keyframe the mesh warp to create pulsing bulges? ....Guess I just answered my own question.

"Cult Of One"

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:01:06 pm

[Benjamin McKay] "...what is a loop out expression and how do I go about performing that?"

I hope you have some prior knowledge of After Effects. I hope you're not counting on going into this green, hoping to pick up a couple of tricks. If you do, you face a steep uphill climb. This AE stuff ain't for the faint of heart:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/05/loopout-and-loopin-expression-1....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animated Heart
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:22:46 pm

You can also use CC Flo Motion, it will give you a decent distortion and you can apply that on the footage comped on top of itself with a feathered mask cut around the heart... but that would still give you a 2d distortion.
Here's what I recommend for a 3d distortion:
Create the wall in PSD. Paint a wall plate (with the heart on in, undistorted by the perspective) apply Free Form and then set it up in 3d space to match the perspective of the wall in the shot using the controls in Free Form and not the layer controls (do not make the layer a 3d layer). Paint then a displacement map for the heart- it can be a simple oval that has a radial gradient from white in the center to black at the edges and matches the approximate shape of the heart. Then you can displace in 3d space.
Here's a tutorial that may give you a better idea of what I am talking about:
http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE/1

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:37:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty experienced in AE. Just not with 2d-to-3d animation and expressions. That's what I intend on mastering with the help of you guys :). Thanks again!

"Cult Of One"

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:41:46 pm

[Benjamin McKay] "I'm pretty experienced in AE."

Now, that's a relief. Far too often, first-time users post here thinking that AE's as easy to learn as... oh, say, Microsoft Word. Glad to hear you know better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animated Heart
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:08:20 pm

As to the loopOut expression. Here's some info: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/05/loopout-and-loopin-expression-1....

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Animated Heart
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:28:12 am

Basically yes, just roto out the parts of the heart and layer them on top of your footage. You don't even need to displace anything (though this might be a bit cheesy), you can just move your anchor points to the center of the pieces and then animate the scale. The FreeForm suggestion would probably look better though - just depends on the style of your video and the time you want to put into it.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:09:36 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. I used a combination of all suggestions and it is looking good. The idea is inherently cheesy, so there's no escaping that :) but overall It looks good. Appreciate it!

-Ben

"Cult Of One"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]