ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame Rate Adjustments

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oliver saintFrame Rate Adjustments
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 2:00:05 pm

I've been using AE for a while now but this is the first time I have shot footage at a different frame rate( on accident) and now I'm trying to render it out at 30 frames a sec. The footage is 1080 by 720 and it was originally shot at 30 frames a sec. I changed the render settings from 59.27 to 30 frames a sec but when render it the footage stops and goes on playback. Within the preveiw render window I set the frame rate to 30 also and it playsback fine on there. I even tried to render image sequences and re render it from there but didnt work out... :/

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Frame Rate Adjustments
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:30:33 pm

Might the tutorial at the top of the forum page help you out?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame Rate Adjustments
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:51:12 pm

Would you happen to be running a version of AE that is NOT version 10 (aka CS5)?

If that's true, read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

oliver saintRe: Frame Rate Adjustments
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:49:47 pm

yeah that def fixed the problem switched it to h.264 it was set to animation before

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Frame Rate Adjustments
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:56:35 pm

[oliver saint] "when render it the footage stops and goes on playback. Within the preveiw render window I set the frame rate to 30 also and it playsback fine on there."

After Effects renders uncompressed or losslessly compressed video by default. These are intermediate formats, intended for further use in post -- not direct playback.

See the FAQ "Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?" at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]