ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

avi import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Kocanavi import
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:51:35 pm

Been searching for awhile about this topic and seen different answers and tried a few of them with no luck. I can not open or import my avi into CS5. However, when I did have CS4 installed, I was able to open it just fine. Have no clue why it would open in an older version, but not a newer version...Downloaded the AVI Codec Pack Pro too.

Anyway, the avi's codec is H264 - MPEG4 AVC (part 10)(H264) 1920x1080.

Any help would excellent, as I already uninstalled AE CS4...Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: avi import
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:00:28 am

What operating system?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael KocanRe: avi import
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:57:08 am

Windows Vista 64

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: avi import
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 6:37:10 am

What specifically does AE tell you when you import it?
Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 6:57:04 am

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: avi import
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:56:55 am

Oh, AVI isn't a good container for h264. Obviously it is possible to get it in there, but typically it's not a supported option by various programs. It looks like CS5's avi importer does not support it. Extract your h264 video stream and your audio stream and mux them into an mp4. Then you won't need to reencode and AE should read it.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:54:42 pm

Thats strange that it will no longer except it anymore. And at the time I recorded whats now the avi, I had the chance to record to mov. Doh!

Would you mind explaining to me on how to extract it, and what to use to do that with. I came accross this, http://www.h264encoder.com/, but I dont think I want to re-encode?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: avi import
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:13:10 pm

It sounds like you've been creating H.264 files for use in AE for quite a while. If so, consider your current situation as an opportunity to mend your errant ways. No kidding.

H.264 is good for FINAL DELIVERY, where no further digital massaging will be done to the file. It's marginal to passable as an acquisition codec, used widely in DSLRs.

But you're in After Effects, which is NEVER a final destination for media files. Media comes into it, and in turn you use it to create media files for some other application. While you're in AE, you want to preserve as much image quality as you possibly can. It's always advisable to work in intermediate codecs in AE, codecs that preserve as much image quality as possible for the trip through AE.

The problem with H.264 is that it doesn't stand up to re-rendering without a drop in image quality. So by making H.264 files for use in AE, you're throwing away some of your image quality. If that's no big deal for you, keep doing what you're doing. If you're quality-conscious, try using footage in lossless or uncompressed footage in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:30:13 am

WOW...finally got it to work. All I had to do is update my k-lite codec pack and download a 64-bit version of it too. Now imports perfectly...yeah!

Thank you for the help guys. Very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]