ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering .mov for web

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandy rangsRendering .mov for web
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:38:01 pm

I have an aefx project, approx. 25 minutes in length, that I need to post to the web. I am trying to get the smallest file size possible while rendering to .mov format. I am trying to stick around 480x360 res and am rendering h.264 @ half quality. File is still pretty big (400 mb) - any suggestions?? (it contains video and slight animation) Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering .mov for web
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:43:12 pm

You may not be getting all the quality you can out of your AE comps. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rendering .mov for web
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:06:56 pm

Besides what Dave already said, I would ad that my best experience with encoding for web is to render from AE losless (animation codec) then compress in Adobe Media Encoder .flv or .f4v

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved