ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why doesn't my image desaturate if I have made changes to the RGB levels on color finesse?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionysios Kotsilimpas
Why doesn't my image desaturate if I have made changes to the RGB levels on color finesse?
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:11:39 pm

As the title states. If i have adjusted the RGB levels and then try to desaturate the image slightly it gives it an orange tint rather then desaturate the image. Once i uncheck my RGB adjustments then it works properly. Anyone have any ideas how to desaturate an image if i have done changes to the RGB levels?

This is using color finesse 2

Dion

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why doesn't my image desaturate if I have made changes to the RGB levels on color finesse?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:34:59 pm

Here's the only thing I can think of: you run a version of AE OTHER than AE 10 (aka CS5), and you're trying to color grade footage from an HDV camera or XDCam footage or something from one of those flip cams.

If that's true, you need to convert the footage to a different codec. Since I'm a Mac guy, I always recommend Quicktime's PNG or Animation codecs. They're lossless.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
Re: Why doesn't my image desaturate if I have made changes to the RGB levels on color finesse?
on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:13:11 am

This probably has do to with the order in which Color Finesse applies the correction. I'm not sure about this but I assume it's top to bottom in the order of the tabs. This means desaturation is done before RGB adjustments.

If you adjust saturation after RGB levels, those RGB levels are then applied to the lower saturation image which will have a different effect.

Color Finesse only has one set of adjustments (unlike for example Colorists which has primary, secondary and master), so you should either do corrections roughly in the order of the tabs, ie do desaturation first, or apply a second Color Finesse effect with desaturation. Or just add a hue/saturation effect.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Bob Currier
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:42:15 am

Jon Bagge is correct, it's an operation ordering issue.

The HSL controls (which is where the saturation control is) is processed prior to the RGB controls. So you end up colorizing your desaturated image.

But there is a useful workaround for this situation using the Secondary color corrector to perform the desaturation:

Adjust your RGB controls as you like, and when you want to desaturate the image, select one of the Secondary color correction tabs. By default, nothing is selected. Check the "Invert Selection" which will cause everything to be selected. Now use the Saturation control in the Secondary tab to do your desaturation and I think you'll get the results you're expecting. Since there are six Secondary color correction tabs, you can use this workaround even when using (up to 5) secondaries; just use the last one for desaturation.

The order of processing operations is covered at the end of Chapter 3 in the Color Finesse Users Guide.

For Color Finesse specific issues you'll probably get a quicker response over in the Synthetic Aperture forum. I caught this question by chance because Google Alerts happened to flag it.

Bob Currier
Synthetic Aperture

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]