ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering as an AVI

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff RoughfaceRendering as an AVI
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:42:22 pm

I'm rendering some graphics to be used for a sporting event. The system (Venus) can only import AVI files. When I export these files, even at the best settings they come out pretty grainy and overall poor quality. On the boards they don't look too awful to the untrained eye, but I'm not a fan of putting them out there grainy without it being an effect.

What is the best way to get these to look better?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:56:25 pm

An AVI can be almost ANYTHING. It's a media container, like Quicktime is a media container.

Think of an AVI as a soda can. This can easily holds cola, ginger ale, root beer... even stagnant swamp water. If the can is the AVI, the contents are the various codecs that can be used the AVI, and there is a big variation in the image quality they preserve.

So what codec did YOU use to render your AVI? The ginger ale kind, or the stagnant swamp water kind?

And you did render using AE's Render Queue, correct? You didn't export, did you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Geoff RoughfaceRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:59:12 pm

Ok we're getting somewhere now. Unfortunately I did only render using the Export feature. I'd never used this before, but when I installed the software of my machine it didn't have some of the codecs I was used to and I assumed this was my only option.

Going through my choices, I cannot find one that allows me to export as an AVI. Just mpeg and movs mainly.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16:21 pm

when you chose file>export>avi, what compression did you choose from the 'video' settings...? that woudl be the codec.

you might try 'none' which would be uncompressed, though i'm not sure how the playout device will handle high data rate files.

what are the dimensions and frame rate of the comp? if it is a dv standard, you could try one of the dv compressions, dvcpro50 may give you good results at lower a data rate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 2:36:44 am

Look closer at the render queue, there are many more options than just mpegs and movs mainly. Actually there are image sequences mainly. There is a default option for an avi container. Once you dive into the options you'll be able to specify the codec, including uncompressed as Gary suggested.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:23:38 pm

[Geoff Roughface] "The system (Venus) can only import AVI files."

If this is a Daktronics display with a Venus server/controller you should be rendering out uncompressed AVI files.

Return to posts index

Jameson AbelRe: Rendering as an AVI
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:28:27 pm

Geoff if the display you are working with is indeed a Daktronics display please see the below information as I am a employee at Daktronics and have asked our control software group to help you with your question.

Artwork dimensions should equal the pixel resolution of the display the content is designed for. This will make importing still and animations much faster and ensure images will not appear distorted on your display. Remember Daktronics displays are sized by pixel height and width.

Venus 1500 v3 and Venus 7000 use AVI uncompressed, 30 frames per second and a square pixel aspect ratio. If you have Venus 7000 and the AVI is over 2GB, then the video should be compressed using HUFFYUV or WM9 codecs. If you have Venus 1500 v4, then you can use .mpg, .mp4 and mpeg files in addition to the uncompressed AVI.

There is no charge to contact our helpdesk, so if you have additional questions, please give us a call at 1-800-DAKTRONics (1-800-325-8766).

Hope this helps,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved