ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

(Hopefully) Simple Checkerboard Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Lawant
(Hopefully) Simple Checkerboard Problem
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:49:16 pm

Hey people, I have a hopefully simple problem. I'm trying to play a little with Time Displacement and I generated a checkerboard. Now I got the effect to work just fine, the only problem is with the actual checkerboard. Between every white and black square there is a line of one pixel that is grey. Now the info button and all say this line is white, but it's not. The Time Displacement is reading the grey line as grey. Anyone know a fix?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: (Hopefully) Simple Checkerboard Problem
on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:40:49 am

The color is white, but it's looking grey to you because of partial transparency, and it's letting the background color (in your case black) show through.

The checkerboard effect creates opaque squares of a color alternating with transparent squares, with a half-transparent border of color between.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Anne Lawant
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:51:54 am

That seems a little silly, not to give the option of having no half-transparant border. I'll just make a checkerboard in Photoshop. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:02:13 pm

> That seems a little silly, not to give the option of having no half-transparant border.

You can submit a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

How to give feedback on After Effects: http://bit.ly/93d6NF

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:17:43 pm

You could apply a Levels effect to checkerboard layer, and crank either the input black or the input white on the alpha channel to force that border line to be either fully opaque or fully transparent -- but the checkboard will either have a one pixel overlap or a one pixel gap.

In Photoshop, the pattern fill should make pretty quick work of this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]