ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry PutnamAbout exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:37:28 am

AE CS5 Vegas Pro 10 on win7 64 bit

I'm experimenting and googling heavily to export quicktime from AE with transparency included... I think I may have hit that formula, but how to tell?

When I Import it into vegas it is opaque. I understand there are setting to worry about when importing transparency but how to find them.

Let me give a brief coverage of how I searched:

In helpfile index searched these terms:

import transparency
import
transparency
quicktime

Did not find the needed info
======================

In the word search section, searched these terms:
Quicktime transparency
import transparency

Transparency [ Here I finally found something in
`compositing and Masks' that says to use the menu under that little green icon on track head to choose how to generate transparency.

I think now that this is something different from what I'm after.
The only item on that list that looked promising was `source alpha' the rest were blending mode names I think.

So, now I'm not sure if I've successfully exported the transparency from AE in the first place, or, if I'm not setting something in Vegas to recognize it.

Below is a screen grab of the render que showing the settings I used, you might want to single click to get a larger view.

If these are right for exporting transparency in *.mov... then how is Vegas made to recognize it?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:12:08 am

The AE render queue looks good. Are you sure there's nothing opaque in your comp's background? If you click the Toggle Transparency Grid button in your comp's viewer, do you see a checkered background?

I'm not a Vegas user, so I can't help there -- but I would also try searching the docs for "alpha channel" rather than just "transparency."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Harry PutnamRe: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:12:11 am

[Walter Soyka] " Re: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by Walter Soyka on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:12:08 pm

The AE render queue looks good. Are you sure there's nothing opaque in your comp's background? If you click the Toggle Transparency Grid button in your comp's viewer, do you see a checkered background?"

Thanks for the input and confirmation. Also for the useful search tip.

Yes it has the checker background. And I see Cory has put his finger right on the mystery for me. Turns out to be easily solved in Vegas with a simple change in `properties'

[Cory Petkovsek] "by Cory Petkovsek on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:20:05 pm

After importing the footage in vegas, rightclick the event and hit properties. Tell vegas the footage has a premultiplied alpha channel. Also make sure within the quicktime/animation properties that the millions of colors+ is set there as well.

This is a vegas question, rather than an AE question.

Incedentially, I usually use straight matte instead of premultiplied so it has a cleaner alpha channel. Vegas will do either."

Thank for the input. Solved the mystery in one go. Had I searched on Alpha channel as Walter suggested, or maybe just Alpha... I probably would have found that switch in the properties dialog.

I agree, its the wrong forum for the question but didn't realize it going in.

Thanks for the tip about using straight matt in AE for export. I would have no doubt been a good long time finding that out on my own.

Thanks again to you both.

Return to posts index

Harry PutnamRe: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:22:25 am

[Walter Soyka] "Posts Index Read Thread

This post should move to AE Basics Forum

The bit above appeared in an usual position not usually associated with a response.

It came after the line one sees following a response:
"Posts Index Read Thread "Quote" SOLUTION
KUDOS
Reply Like"

So I'm not sure if it was Cory's comment or what but may I ask if a question regarding the included `Card Dance' plugin would be appropriate here... or that also should be the `Basics' forum?

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:39:43 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:33:09 am

That stuff is a flag for the moderators.

If your question is something you should know but don't (like alpha channels), it should be asked in the basics forum. If it's something that requires AE mastery/trickery to do, this forum is better. Most likely a question about card dance will be a basics question, in it's own thread.

In fact most likely your question has already been answered, so make sure to search first. >50% of the questions asked could be answered by searching or self struggle. I know this because I don't think I've ever asked a question on CC; I can usually find the answer with search or figure it out on my own.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: About exporting Transparency AE - Importing Trans Vegas
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:20:05 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:33:17 am

After importing the footage in vegas, rightclick the event and hit properties. Tell vegas the footage has a premultiplied alpha channel. Also make sure within the quicktime/animation properties that the millions of colors+ is set there as well.

This is a vegas question, rather than an AE question.

Incedentially, I usually use straight matte instead of premultiplied so it has a cleaner alpha channel. Vegas will do either.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]