ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rapid fire (fast action) transition (tutorial on how to do them)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Curry
rapid fire (fast action) transition (tutorial on how to do them)
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:04:17 am

Hi guys

Im pretty much an amateur after effects guy. I know just enough to be dangerous...

I have watched a lot of tutorials from video copilot, aetuts+, etc but most of these tutorials are about adding effects to a video or creating a title scene.

What Im looking for and would like to have a tutorial on is these fast paced rapid fire transitions you see in commercials (adverts for your Brits). not sure if there is a technical name for this type of transition but you usually see them with cars commericals or show and also in music videos etc...

does anyone have a tutorial on this or can someone make one.

thanks for any info
Steph

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: rapid fire (fast action) transition (tutorial on how to do them)
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:10:59 am

You mean stuff like this:

Broadcast design, or motion graphics transitions. Search for tutorials with those key words.

Video copilot, greyscalegorilla, and tutsplus all have many such tutorials for AE and 3d programs. Tutsplus has a whole motion graphics category, did you look there?

A lot of these examples are evolved stuff. You need to take the small pieces you learn in tutorials and apply them to real client projects in order to grow your ability and portfolio.

Also improving your graphic design, photography, and fine art skills will help your motion graphics tremendously.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Stephen Curry
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:04:49 pm

the NFL clip is the closest to what Im referring to...as for the others one is much to slow and the other is just kinetic type.

Im going to try to include a Youtube clip from a show where I saw this type of effect.

if it doesnt paste in then here is the link:

the whole clip is various transitions but the clip as a whole really shows what Im looking to learn how to do.

I also put it here

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/rapid-fire-transition

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:22:16 pm

A lot of those things are simply various shots taken around the track. They had their contrast adjusted, then they were colorized. About the only animation in them is a rapid inversion of the video color.

The big deal in them is basically the duration of the shots and speed of the animation. Since they're not all that complicated, they can be done in quite a few editing applications these days.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Curry
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:48:35 pm

I can see what you are talking about....so basically its just single clips with lighting and color adjustments placed together in very short sequences?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2011 at 6:03:28 pm

They're merely short-duration effects animation created in AE, then rendered out and cut into place in the longer video in an editing application. It happens all the time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:33:39 pm

If I understand you correctly, what you are looking for has a lot to do with editing. The rapid transitions in commercials or music video have a lot to do with how the clips are cut to link motion with sound and color. Rhythm, sound fx and matching motion are used to cut in between shots and tell a story in a few frames. Of course there are some VFX- most times camera shakes, lens flares, flashes of light, color grading and roto. All pretty basic effects, but used in an inventive way to accentuate the "feeling" of the cut. If that's what you're after, my advice is to do a lot of frame by frame analysis of the works you like and then try to decompose what's in there and reconstruct it in AE yourself.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]