ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Opinons on this Motion Graphics piece

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingOpinons on this Motion Graphics piece
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:46:53 pm

I was wanting to get some opinions on this short mock advertisement for Garmin that I did.

The main thing I really could use opinions on is the audio.
For now I just put a slight musical track in the back. I did try putting a computerized voice saying commands like "turn left" "make a u turn" but it sounded cheesy. I also tried sound effects and it seemed kind of odd as well.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Opinons on this Motion Graphics piece
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:58:25 pm

Hi Travis,

I really like that you've condensed a story into six seconds with nothing but arrows, some text, and color.

I'd think that the adding those voices would actually detract from the story's simplicity, but I think that some good sound effects could give the moving arrows a bit of depth, and good sound design could help amplify the lost/not lost distinction even more, and help further identify Garmin as the hero in the animation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Clay VernonRe: Opinons on this Motion Graphics piece
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:55:08 pm

I like the choice of music tracks. If you could line the arrow entrances up with the beat better, I feel like it would add something. You could have some sort of musical slide effect in that first second to fill the gap... Animation looks great.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Opinons on this Motion Graphics piece
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:42:57 am

Looks nice, sounds nice. The text is on screen for too little time to comfortably read it. If I blink, the words are gone, and I have a sharp eye.

I suggest you leave it on screen for as long as you would voice the words being said, plus a little buffer on either side. For the last one it should hang out for 3-5 seconds. Watch 30 second commercial spots on youtube and look at where they place things in the timeline, and how long their logos hang out.

I don't like how the N appears before "We got you covered". It is distracting. That should be a separate scene. "We got you covered" -> N -> GARMI

The white text would look better in a wider font where the O is more of a circle. Maybe the same font but bold and horizontally stretched.

I would bring Need and Directions closer together. The eye has to travel far from one to the other in such a short time frame. It's difficult at 360p. In 1080p it will has way too far to travel. Also from a design perspective, it will look better if they are no further than vertical thirds, or at least within hdtv safe zones (just for spacing).

The thing dropping down on the N is cool. But I only saw it after several playings. Let it linger longer, and emphasize the animation more. It should squeeze the N more, then bounce, then let the camera linger on the logo. Also use a sound effect to call attention to it.

I would start the first downbeat of the music with the first arrow going across the screen. That will tie it together better.

The whole thing should expand to about 10 seconds.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: Opinons on this Motion Graphics piece
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:42:38 am

Thank you very much for all the feedback

I am deferentially going to go back and mess with some of the things mentioned.

I am not going to stress too much on the audio though since the main purpose of this video is to put it in my reel to show some animation skills.

Thanks again! =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved