ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

HD Credit Crawl...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul DanhauserHD Credit Crawl...
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:00:42 pm

I'm currently finishing up an independent film and after stumbling upon some forums where people have had playback issues on their credit crawls, I decided to do a test and, sure enough, the crawl looks fuzzy when played back on an HDTV. Just to clarify, I'm rendering them out at 1080x720 at 23.976fps. I'm viewing the tests by burning them to normal DVD and playing them in a Blu-Ray player on the HDTV.

The problems I'm noticing are jittery "E's" and the letters become pixelated when fading in and out from black. The text is sharp white over black. The crawl is a Photoshop file brought into After Effects. We want to final output to look good when played ona blu-ray disc, can anyone pleas help?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: HD Credit Crawl...
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:49:24 pm

You can't accurately test a Blu-ray workflow by downscaling for DVD and upscaling on playback.

You'll have to encode and author a Blu-ray test disc to see how your credit roll will really look (or preview directly from AE or your NLE to an HD monitor if you have a capture card).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul DanhauserRe: HD Credit Crawl...
by on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:54:14 pm

That's good to know, thanks! I kinda figured I was asking for trouble with the whole downgrade/upgrade business. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: HD Credit Crawl...
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:52:29 am

Yes, what you were testing was an SD credit roll. Search this forum for a credit roll expression. It will roll your credits at a multiple of your framerate for the smoothest roll.

PS. Not downgrade/upgrade. Downres/upres. Very different concept!

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved