ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advanced Video Training Course?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Advanced Video Training Course?
on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:57:14 pm

Does anyone know of an advanced video training course for After Effects CS5?

I have exhausted the following:

• Lynda.com - Basics Only
  • Video Copilot - Random
  • Greyscale Gorilla - Random/C4D focussed
  • Digital Tutors - Limited/Compositing focussed
  • Total Training - Basics Only

Reading a book for advanced techniques is cumbersome. I prefer videos.

A training course video seems ideal to me because I like training that builds upon the skill level from one lesson to the next by a qualified (mature) instructor.

My goal is not to produce something cool, rather it's to really understand After Effects better. So please, if you know of any ADVANCED or even intermediate video training courses, please share.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Advanced Video Training Course?
on Jan 23, 2011 at 12:13:41 am

Check out FXPhd.com. They cover lots of different software including After Effects.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 23, 2011 at 1:22:19 am

> Reading a book for advanced techniques is cumbersome. I prefer videos.

Too bad.

Much of the best information comes in books. Mark Christiansen's book and Chris & Trish Meyers books are impossible to beat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jan 23, 2011 at 2:05:48 am

I totally agree with Todd, those books are hard to beat because they teach you all of the core principles that you really need to know if you want to truly understand After Effects. Video tutorials are great and can teach you a lot, but there's a reason that most professionals that work with After Effects have read those books--and most of them have read them more than once--myself included.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 23, 2011 at 2:13:29 am

There's another book that I recommend:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/

If you read that document from beginning to end and follow the links in it, you'll know more than just about anyone about After Effects. It has links to hundreds of tutorials that I have personally vetted as being of the highest quality, and those links appear in context.

If you ask Chris & Trish Meyer or Mark Christiansen where they get their information, I promise you that they will tell you that they go to After Effects Help first. Most of it is written by Mark's technical editor (me).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:16:04 am

1. Get a motion graphics client
2. Understand their needs
3. Figure out how to make it happen
4. Get paid
5. Repeat

Tutorials have such a limited use and retention span, as will any training course. The bottom line is you need a project; either your own creative project, or something for someone else. The struggle of needing to figure out how to accomplish what you want will educate you better and faster than any book, tutorial or course. Use forums, mentors, and tutorials mid project to fill in pieces you're missing.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]