ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best General approach to Rotoscoping.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Brigantino
Best General approach to Rotoscoping.
on Jan 22, 2011 at 6:42:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I see uses of the Roto Brush, Peter O'Connell's 2 point system and Mocha.

As someone who is just starting out which approach do you think is best? What are your thoughts on each of these approaches?

I would think some are better in certain scenarios, no?

Thanks and I look forward to the responses!

Take care,

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
Re: Best General approach to Rotoscoping.
on Jan 22, 2011 at 7:38:27 pm

I've used all three approaches. Mocha is by far the best. It took some time to learn, but it's the fastest way and arguably the most accurate. Learn mocha really well and it will solve all of your tracking/roto problems. Copying and pasting information from mocha to AE couldn't be easier. I hardly ever have a project where I don't spend a significant amount of time in mocha.

A few suggestions: Instead of pasting mocha shape information on a layer, try going to Edit>paste mocha mask and it will paste AE masks instead which renders faster.

Also, precomp that layer using "move all attributes" then add a matte choker with a slight feathered edge onto the precomp.

Then I like to add some sort of forced motion blur like Reel Smart Motion Blur or the built-in CC Force Motion Blur.

Some people might think it inconvenient to have to switch to another program but now it's second nature to me. And if changes are needed updating track/roto data is also easy to do.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Thomas Brigantino
on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:42:50 pm

It seems Mocha is the way to go. Right now, I have mocha for After Effect CS5. Is it worth understanding that version or waiting, saving to eventually purchase Mocha Pro?

Thoughts?

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:26:24 pm

mocha for After Effects CS5 is perfect. You have both tracking and roto export options, which is enough to do most projects. Get to know those two features as best you can then you can consider getting Mocha Pro in a couple years.

Most of Mocha Pro features I would rather do in AE anyways as far as the compositing tools go. The removal tool is cool, but you can accomplish the same thing with a little more work with Mocha AE and CS5. The 3D corner pin effect you can also just use a preset called "Corner Pin to Null" from videocopilot.net. It's limited, but works in most cases. The lens distortion you can also just use Optics Compensation in AE and get a similar effect. So, again, if you think you might use those Mocha Pro tools in a couple years, buy it. But for now, you can live with what you've got.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Thomas Brigantino
on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:31:00 pm

Thank you Dan, I feel I have a better direction now; greatly appreciated.

If you can think of any resources for someone just entering this territory...the more, the better. I need all the guidance I can get!

Also, is it worth going through the tutorials on the Peter O'Connell DVD, worth it?

Thanks again!

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jan 23, 2011 at 12:28:43 am

Pete definitely knows his stuff, so it might be worth it to understand the basics of rotoscoping. I haven't watched those in a long time, but I remember I learned a few key concepts from him. Understanding the AE approach also might give you more appreciation for the mocha approach, which I think is more streamlined.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

sonnie hamner
on May 9, 2011 at 5:13:36 am

I tried adding forced blur to my mask and it undoes my rotoscope work any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Finally got editing down and now I face compression!!

I have an 1hr 50min film dvcpro720p60, sent to compressor it renders out at 95.96GB

The largest disc I can find is a blu-ray 50GB

What settings do I use to render it under 50 GB and retain HD?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 22, 2011 at 7:54:35 pm

Roto Brush is not for rotoscoping as people usually use that term. Roto Brush is to rotoscoping as Jet Ski is to skiing.

Rotoscoping generally refers to the frame-by-frame animation of masks to separate a foreground subject from a background. Roto Brush doesn't create masks, and (if it's working perfectly) doesn't require frame-by-frame animation. I was one of the people who designed Roto Brush, and I argued against the name because I thought that it would confuse people. It's a different tool that accomplishes the same end goal; but the techniques and mechanisms are almost totally different.

This page includes many tips and resources for rotoscoping.

A very common first step to make things easier is to motion-track the subject so that animating the masks is much easier. Pete shows great ways of doing that on his rotoscoping DVD. This video shows a simple version of the technique.

Imagineer's mocha tools make motion tracking and rotoscoping work together quite well. It's the same idea, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:12:09 pm

My advice would be to try and see which tools you like more and can use better to get what you are after. Tools are great only if you can use them - so whatever fits your style is best for you.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Thomas Brigantino
on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:48:50 pm

Learning, thank you for the insight.

I do have Pete O'Connell's DVD, Advanced Rotoscoping Techniques in After Effects. It seems a little aged as he is showing how to perform rotoscoping in CS3, although, those approaches may be a bit timeless.

It gets confusing trying to sort out what approach is best.

Mocha seems to keep coming up and the suggestions of Mocha Pro, which is quite expensive, is not a viable option right now.

Do you think I should just work with the DVD Tutorials I have of Peter using motion tracking?

I just want to try and start on the right foot without, down the line, having to unlearn the knowledge that I gained in the tutorials.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 23, 2011 at 1:20:57 am

> I do have Pete O'Connell's DVD, Advanced Rotoscoping Techniques in After Effects. It seems a little aged as he is showing how to perform rotoscoping in CS3, although, those approaches may be a bit timeless.

I recommended Pete's DVD in my previous message. I'll do it again.

Don't assume that because something was created using After Effects CS3 that it's not relevant to CS5. A very small fraction of features change from one version to the next.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Rick Zeimann
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:04:24 pm

Your best chance of finding happiness is the Mocha Pro release. Then check out Curious Turtle (http://www.curiousturtle.com) for training. You'll have hair on your chest in no time.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:40:43 pm

"You'll have hair on your chest in no time."

I'm borrowing that one!

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Thomas Brigantino
on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:40:20 pm

Sounds like a good approach, although, the money bit gets in the way... unfortunately.

How about using Mocha for After Effects?

Thank you!

Thomas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]