ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Basic, but highly professional animation within footage needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Basic, but highly professional animation within footage needed
on Jan 22, 2011 at 1:44:02 pm

Hi,

I am editing a showreel for a fish supplement supplier and will be interjecting pictures of their product within the footage. These are stills.

Trawled through all the animation templates (I am not competent enough to create my own) on Revostock and the only one that comes even close is this one: http://www.revostock.com/After-Effects-Project/207063/ELEGANT-DISPALYS-PRES... (i'm competent enough to put my own text to it at least and add a transition from the footage nicely into the animation and back).

All the others are far to quick and lack the clean, professional feel I require for this project.

Any idea's welcome :)

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Basic, but highly professional animation within footage needed
on Jan 22, 2011 at 2:04:42 pm

Well, the first thing that comes to mind - why don't you hire someone to do it for you? Templates can be useful, but nothing compares to a custom made product. Even with that you need to have an idea of what you're after. Write a brief and post a job here on the Cow- you'll get plenty of folks willing to put their creativity to use.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Jan 22, 2011 at 2:10:31 pm

Thanks and great idea.

Only trouble is I have a tight turnaround and I often don't know exactly what I want until I 'see it', which makes a custom product difficult.

Hope that makes sense.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 22, 2011 at 2:15:15 pm

Well, that's why you need an experienced artist to work with and this is the place to look for one. Depending on the time frame and budget you may find a few options. I wouldn't mind taking a look at the project.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Jan 22, 2011 at 5:22:15 pm

OK. Thanks for your replies.

Budget is tight enough for me to look for a template, so we're talking $45-$50.

The project is several interviews (no cutaways), so I need to be very inventive on how I meld the interviews together and introduce still product pictures.

It's complicated further because each segment of the showreel is about a specific product, for which I only have one interviewee, so cannot cut between interviews as I would normally.

Hopefully that explains in a bit more detail?

Timeframe is 1 week, 2 max really.

Kind regards,

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 22, 2011 at 7:55:14 pm

Dave mentioned this a few times- you want speed, quality and low price, but you can get only two at a time. For a low budget I'm afraid you will need to spend a considerable amount of time looking for templates that fit your vision (and possibly combine two or three) or learn AE well enough to do it yourself. I personally recommend the second, this way you will get something out of it. If you need something fast and cheap, then you have to drop the requirements in quality and just use the best you can find in the time you have.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

André Irniger
on Jan 22, 2011 at 2:50:19 pm

[Olly Lawer] "Only trouble is I have a tight turnaround and I often don't know exactly what I want until I 'see it', which makes a custom product difficult."

Hy there,

well, most people (including me) don't know exactly how it will look at the end, normally you just have a slight idea in which direction it should go or you got idea about the content but you are not yet sure how to deliver the message. But the good news is, as soon as you start visualizing things (ie. the 3D guy creates some first impressions), you suddelny get ideas based on what you see. Most of my projects start out with an idea and end with a slightly different one, nearly always the changes come from the customer, seeing something he liked very much. So for me, the idea is just the starting point of a creative processs ...

Cheers,
André

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:01:15 pm

Hi,

Thanks. This is a low budget product, although my 'creative flair' and 'perfectionism' has taken over and I want these extra touches rather then just fading in a picture.

But, for future projects, what sort of cost are we talking about for an animation - taking this scope as an example to more complex projects.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:20:26 pm

The cost depends on a lot of details - without those you can be anywhere in between 200 and 2000 (or more). If you want an accurate quotation then think about what you need ( idea, length, format, time frame), post that and ask for a quote. You'll get a pretty decent idea.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]