ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthalSuitible graphics card for after effects cs5
by on Jan 22, 2011 at 5:11:17 am

i just received my new canon hv40 hd camcorder. the footage looks very good capturing went pretty flexible and playing back stutterd a bit at first but went smooth after that. the problems started when i tarted to add effects it took me almost an hour to render a one minute clip. im thinking of upgrading to a core 2 quad 3.0 ghz processor, but would it be significantly different if i buy a 2.5ghz or 2.8ghz instead or is the 3.0ghz important for hd video? also i would like a workstation video card for video editing and visual effects i was thinking quadro but magic bullet looks requires 1300 or later which are pretty expensive i also tought matrox would be good but again the price is a bit too high for me as i live in south america and i have to pay a lot more fees on top of the original price and shipping. so what would be the best card for me? i record parties weddings etc also make music videos etc iuse a lot of visual effects as well as motion graphix and 3d. my current set up is: intel pentium dual core 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia geforce 9400gt..
i also use premiere pro a lot

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5
by on Jan 22, 2011 at 1:06:27 pm

As far as AE goes, any of the cards that are good for Premiere Pro will do. Get more RAM though - 8-12 processing cores and a minimum of 2GB per processing core will do.
Get one of the cards that provides CUDA acceleration features:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:07:55 am

Your current card is sufficient for most things you'll be doing. Spend your money on your processor and memory.

Upgrading from a dual core to a core 2 quad will definitely give you a boost, as long as you stay with at least 4gb. A core i7 would be better (for AE and premiere). More memory would be better (for AE).

Make sure you are running a 64-bit operating system and CS5. AE is processor and memory bound, so the more money you spend on them, the better (until you get beyond 8 cores and 24gb). Video card not so much.

MB Looks should work fine with your current video card with updated drivers. It is a slow program in general. But an hour render for 1 minute is pretty slow; mostly due to your processor.

I'm running a core2duo 2.6ghz, 4gb memory, laptop ati video card on win7/64. Looks and AE are fine; not spectacular, but sufficient.

If you want to greatly improve the rendering performance of your footage, learn to use the native effects. Looks provides an easy, prepackaged configuration. You could get most of the way there with native tools and see a far greater performance gain. It's the balance between simple but slow or more complex but faster.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved