ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mildly interesting multiprocessing quirk

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul RoperMildly interesting multiprocessing quirk
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:03:57 pm

I just performed a render from AE CS5 using multiprocessing (AE used 10 cores), and the resulting movie had 8 good frames, 2 frames with the 'footage missing' color bars on one of the elements (a PSD file), then 8 good frames, the 2 bad ones, 8 good, 2 bad...etc. etc. It was as if 8 cores loaded the PSD file successfully but 2 cores didn't.

Not really a problem - I just re-rendered it with multiprocessing off and it was fine. Just kinda interesting...although would have been a pain if it was a huge, hours-long render! 'Twas only a 3 minute render.

So there you go. That's the highlight of my morning so far. Other than a chocolate chip bagel.

Oh yes, forgot to mention - OpenGL is off.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mildly interesting multiprocessing quirk
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:08:23 pm

I don't think you mentioned how much memory you have, so you might want to see how your current memory & processor allocations square with this:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Mildly interesting multiprocessing quirk
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:18:33 pm

I've got 12GB (it's going to be a much more AE-friendly 32GB very soon), with 0.75 GB per processor.

Thanks for the link to that recommended memory page - I'd seen it before and thought "when I get around to it I'll check that out and run some tests". Well, now's the time!

I'm not going to be using my previous settings - my test render came in at 6m 44sec + 15sec prepping background tasks before the render started. Multiprocessing OFF = 5m 52, but with the recommended settings (and multiprocessing ON) it took just 4min 45secs - a third off!

Most of my projects are kinda similar, so these settings should work for me from now on. Thanks, Dave for prompting me to do this!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Mildly interesting multiprocessing quirk
by on Jan 22, 2011 at 12:12:25 am

I've been experimenting with settings on my 12 core with 32 GB. Most Comps render and preview faster when I use multiples of 3 for the number of cores (12, 15, 18 etc) and give After Effects RAM in multiples of 3 GB. Each proc gets 1 gb at the higher settings (wish I had 64 :| )

This may be due to the memory pipeline inherent in the Nehalem processors, 3 channels of memory.

Not sure whether these settings are just voodoo or whether this is fact, however tests on the same comp with a variety of MP settings bear this out for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved