ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

tc particular detail question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
manojit ghosetc particular detail question
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:36:36 pm

hi there,

i am emitting particles from an animated layer.
and my "textures" are essentialy leaves that should ideally grow from this layer.
my question:
is there a way i can tell particular to identify only one end of the leaf to attach to the object...when scattering on the layer object randomly, instead of randomly picking.
OR any ideas for any other workaround?

mg

MG

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: tc particular detail question
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:53:43 pm

just to make sure i'm understanding what you have and what you're after...

you have an animated layer emitter (i assume it's like a branch that is growing), and you have custom particles that are leaf shapes, and they are set to scale over time to look like they are growing as the branch-like emitter animates on.

and you want the leaf particles to scale from an edge (like the stem) rather than the center... if so, you need to set the custom particle to have an edge at the center of the particle comp, or, if it's just a layer (not pre-comp'ed), try moving the anchor point to the edge that you want it to grow from.

or maybe you want the leaves to only be emitted from the edge/tip of the branch as it grows. if that's the case, you'll need to modify the layer emitter animation to show just the edges/tips moving, and the leaves will then only emit from those points, rather than from the whole branch randomly.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

manojit ghoseRe: tc particular detail question
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:39:09 pm

hi Kevin,

thank you so much for your instant reply to the post. yeah i got what i wanted and its what you suggested. :)
i overlooked the anchor point issue completely earlier.
i put all my leaves' (in the precomp)- what should be their contact point to the branch to the anchor point. though not perfect, it's still yeilding better results than earlier for sure.

thanks a ton!
manojit

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: tc particular detail question
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:00:10 pm

[manojit ghose] "though not perfect, it's still yeilding better results than earlier for sure."

you could also create animated particles... so you could customize the leaf to grow exactly how you want it to (the stem would still need to be in the center of the particle pre-comp). then you'd set how particular plays that animation.

if you had several different leaves, then you'd have several animations in the same comp, staggered though the timeline. each animation would need to be the same length, and you'd also need to define length that in particular.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

manojit ghoseRe: tc particular detail question
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:21:50 am

hi Kevin,

thanks for the suggestion. :)

manojit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved