ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth WallaceJittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:17:46 pm

Hi All,

When I apply the "brush strokes" effect in After Effects CS5 (via effect>stylize>brush strokes), I get an effect that looks great when the video isn't playing (and I can adjust brush stroke width, density, etc. just fine), but when I generate a RAM preview, the effect looks all jittery and every stroke is wiggling around in constant motion. How can I get a more subtle painted canvas look? Nothing looks pixelated, the effect is just in constant motion. Are there controls for the effect that I'm missing.

Thanks for your help.
~Elizabeth

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:23:55 pm

I'm pretty sure that's just how Brush Strokes works. It's been a long time since I've used it, but I don't recall any time or frame-related controls in it. I'm not at my AE machine to check.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elizabeth WallaceRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:39:19 pm

Do you know of any other filters that I can use to make my footage look like a moving painting?

~Elizabeth

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:47:53 pm

ToonIt
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/toonit/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:21:27 pm

You could also try playing with the settings in the Cartoon effect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:30:57 pm

Thanks! Great idea.

~Elizabeth

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:17:44 pm

I'm loving the cartoon effect, but I have a question about it. I want my character in the shot to look like he's stepping out a painting. I used the roto brush to isolate him from the background, and he's got the cartoon effect on right now. But I want the cartoon effect on him to fade away until he becomes a "real person" again. Alot of the effects have the "blend with original" option which makes something like this easy, but the cartoon effect doesn't seem to have that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
~Elizabeth

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:09:45 pm

Duplicate your man layer and remove the cartoon effect from one. Then use whatever method you desire to bring in the non-cartoon version. You could use a precomp to drive a Gradient Wipe transition, you could animate the opacity, you could use a mask...endless possibilities.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:10:13 pm

Perfect! That's going to work fantastically.

Thanks,
~Elizabeth

Return to posts index

Alex HarrisRe: Jittery "Brush Strokes" Effect
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:48:52 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it still pops up in top results on google, so just thought I'd post my fix for freezing the brush stroke effect in place for any future readers. You can put the Posterize Time effect below the Brush strokes one on a layer and set it to zero to freeze it. Or if you have video and don't want it to freeze as well, put the brush and posterize effect on an adjustment layer above your footage, and precomp if you don't want it affecting anything else.

The Grey Cow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]