ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Video. Huge file size.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic HawkinsRendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:45:05 pm

Hey everyone, ive been using Adobe After Effects for a few months now. I get quite abit, however when it comes to rendering i know nothing.

My raw footage from camera is AVCHD. Ive recently just finished one of my films. Im trying to get it onto youtube in HD but its just not working out at all. The file size is either to big with HD or to small with really bad quality. This is really annoying me, ive tried to look it up but i havent got a straight answer.

Ive tried all the formats on the list of formats that i can pick when rendering. I really dont know what to do, im going insane!! I know its proberly really simple but i have no idea.

Please someone help me so i can get my film on youtube in HD and without a stupid file size of 4gb-8gb for a 2 min video.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:55:58 pm

Render lossless from AE and use Adobe Media Encoder to compress to .flv or .f4v. You can also open the AE project in Media Encoder and render directly. It will take some time depending on your machine but the result is really good.
AE is not really meant to compress files.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nic HawkinsRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:07:23 pm

Thank you im doing that now. So youtube will accept .flv or .f4v files to be uploaded?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:13:48 pm

[Nic Hawkins] "So youtube will accept .flv or .f4v files to be uploaded?"

You could always look at the page on YouTube describing the kind of files they accept.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:00:37 pm

Yep!
Do what Dave suggested though- check out the requirements on the webpage.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:00:38 pm

Don't use AE to compress for the web. Render out an uncompressed version with the default Animation codec - yes it will be a large file.
Then use an encoding app such as Adobe Media Encoder, Compressor, MPEG Streamclip or Sorenson Squeeze to make the web version - preferably H.264.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:12:10 pm

the only thing i'd add to the other suggestions is to encode to a straight mp4 container rather than flash...

i think you tube still has that as their recommendation, but it is a more versatile/generic container that almost all newish players support (quicktime, windows media, vlc), including nles, and many blu-ray players, ipad/iphone... if you ever wanted to play the clips someplace other than you tube.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 8:05:47 pm

Other have covered this pretty well, but here's an FAQ entry and movie that answer your original question:
"FAQ: Why is my output file huge...?"

Regarding YouTube output: Adobe Media Encoder (AME) has YouTube output presets. And you can add After Effects compositions directly tot he AME encoding queue. Voila!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Nic HawkinsRe: Rendering Video. Huge file size.
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 8:16:57 pm

Thank you everyone! All on youtube now and in HD!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]