ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Method for removing Noise with AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PoissonBest Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:46:01 am

Hello,

I have quite a bit of dark noisy footage to grade and part of that process requires me to de-noise. I have yet to find a total solution. I have AE CS4, I also have Red Giant's Denoiser from Stabilizer and also one from Key Correct as well.

I've attempted to find some tutorials on the remove grain filter that is bundled with AE, but can only find 3rd party plug-in tutorials.

Any suggestions or points leading in the right direction is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Aaron Poisson
Eyeris Productions
http://www.eyerisproductions.com

Return to posts index

Andrew DevisRe: Best Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 9:12:07 am

Hi Aaron
I know it's another 3rd party plug-in but Neat Video is probably the best out there for noise reduction. In fact I am working on a tutorial now on noise reduction using some night shot dark footage with lots of noise.

Once you have a good noise profile you can then save the profile for the camera in that mode and easily apply it and fine tune it to other clips shot with the same camera in the same mode with very little effort.

Hope this helps

Andrew

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Aaron PoissonRe: Best Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:08:09 pm

I saw your previous tutorial with your product, and it seems to be a very nice tool; however, we don'y have the budget to purchase any more software for some time.

Return to posts index

Andrew DevisRe: Best Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:38:03 pm

Hi Aaron
I completely understand, it is hard to find the money for all these wonderful plug-ins! But when you have $99.90 for the pro version ...

All the best with your project
Andrew

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Best Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:15:53 am

You can pass the footage through avisynth and use fft3d and/or grapesmoother and/or a variety of other noise reduction algorithms.

However if this is for an employed position, you'll quickly blow through $99 of employee time by learning how to use avisynth and plugins if you don't already know how to use it. If you do, it's a great tool for a variety of other aspects of post-production work. So if this isn't an employed position, it may be worth your time to learn about it.

I'd still start with the built in AE tools that Dave mentioned.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best Method for removing Noise with AE?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:21:21 pm

[Aaron Poisson] "I've attempted to find some tutorials on the remove grain filter that is bundled with AE, but can only find 3rd party plug-in tutorials"

You mean you missed this?
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSAE104790-DF54-4d29-84BC...

Yeah, I understand it requires one to read, but the controls are pretty well described.

Know that ANY noise removal effect requires an astounding amount of computation. You will face an extremely long render. Multiprocessing or Open GL acceleration won't help speed the process; instead, they'll hurt.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]