ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Individual images to flip & form one image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aymeric De MeautisIndividual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 5:58:59 am

Hey guys, looked around and couldn't find anything on it (trying to word it was difficult too).

I'm looking at having 12 separate comps which show individual videos, all flip at separate times to form one big image.

You know when you look in the crowds of football stadiums and everyone is holding a different sign then they flip them around and when looked at together all the pictures form one massive image like the face of someone or something, I tried doing this individually but failed...any ideas?

Oh btw im using After Effects!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Individual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:21:48 am

Make the flipped version of the signs be an alpha channel. Have the face under the other comps so it shows through them.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Individual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:17:43 am

Hi,

Have you looked at the Card Dance plug-in? If you have your 12 videos together in a precomp, Card Dance will let you chop it up into sections (say a 4x3 grid) and then animate each panel separately, with your final image as the back of the panels. You can either make them flip over in sequence, like a finely-tuned North Korean propaganda show, or you can use a gradient map to make more complex transitions. As well as the rotation of each panel, you can control the scale and position, so with a wiggle expression, you should be able to make it look like a heaving crowd.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Individual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:20:14 pm

Another candidate would be Card Wipe, which is intended to simulate the look of a card section at a football game.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:25:46 pm

Hi Dave,

Ah yes, Card Wipe was the one I was thinking of - sorry about the confusion.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Individual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 5:05:11 pm

Well, I think you can do it in Card Dance, too. I've never even thought about trying it, but I bet it's possible. Convoluted, but possible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 5:09:50 pm

Hi Dave,

I was never too clear about the difference between those two plugins, so I just had a look. Card Wipe has a handy Transition slider, which makes it probably an easier choice than Card Dance, which seems to be all driven by gradient maps (although you can use gradient maps in Card Wipe as well).

Return to posts index

Aymeric De MeautisRe: Individual images to flip & form one image
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:32:43 am

awesome thanks for the replies guys! Card wipe worked out perfectly! Much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]