ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Getting Mac Pro - where to put the money...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick DantonioGetting Mac Pro - where to put the money...?
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:02:43 am

I'm thinking very seriously about upgrading to a Mac Pro and I'm wondering where you all think I should put the money.

I mostly use AE and Premier - and I really need to speed up my render and reaction time.

So, what do you think is the most important area...

4,6, or 8 "Cores" and/or processor speed
Graphics Card

I know all are important but where do you think I will get the most for my money right now?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Getting Mac Pro - where to put the money...?
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:50:38 am

RAM is important (especially for After Effects). 12GB is the amount where people seem to begin to have smooth and trouble-free experiences with things like HD and Dynamic Link.

An Nvidia graphics card is a good idea for Premiere Pro, especially one of the cards that provides CUDA acceleration features.

Two or three fast local hard disks are a good idea.

Fast processors certainly help. But don't blow your money on processor cores and then have none left for RAM. For After Effects, a four-core computer with 12GB of RAM is a better idea than an eight-core computer with 8GB of RAM.

FWIW, at home I have a quad-core with 24GB of RAM, three hard disks, and a Quadro CX. That should tell you what my recommendations are better than any generalizations would.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Aymeric De MeautisRe: Getting Mac Pro - where to put the money...?
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:01:16 am

I suggest getting a solid state drive and as much ram as possible!
I'm currently running the 8 core westmere with a 512GB ssd with 32GB ram and it works like a charm on both programs =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved