ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Red One 4K footage and AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan FloodRed One 4K footage and AE
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:32:53 am

Hello everyone. I've recently been offered a job that requires the editing of some raw Red One 4K footage and I was just wondering if any of you guys here have had the opportunity to work with that format inside of AE yet? If so can you share your experiences with me? From what I can tell you need a fairly powerful PC setup to be able to work smoothly with this sort of footage, is that the case? And also, is there a plugin needed to handle the .r3d format or does AE (CS4) have native support for it? Also, anything else you could share would be very appreciated. I'd like to know as much as possible about this before I give this prospective clients a definitive answer. 4K footage is a little bit intimidating to be honest. I'd hate to turn down the rather large offering of money but I think it'd be much worse if I took this job on and it ended badly.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear some good news :D

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Red One 4K footage and AE
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:11:39 am

I use 4K RED footage in the project that I use for daily functionality testing. It works fine.

To use RED footage in After Effects CS4, you need to have applied the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update. The 9.0.3 update includes the 9.0.2 update, so you should really just apply the more comprehensive 9.0.3 update.

After Effects CS5 works much better with 4K frames. The 64-bit application can handle the large frame sizes much more easily. See this page for some other improvements made for RED handling in recent CS5 updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Red One 4K footage and AE
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:18:23 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:29:29 am

I'm grading a short film edited in vegas and graded in AE. CS5 works fine with r3ds; although Adobe has not yet integrated the latest color science from Red. Todd, any idea when that will happen? Otherwise, it works fine. I'm working on a core2duo laptop with 4gb of memory on win7/64.

I've had issues with CS4 and red files. You'll need to download the red plugin from Red's website (although perhaps the AE update Todd mentions includes this now).

I would accept the job and spend some of your rather large offering of money on a cs5 upgrade.

There's no reason for the job to end up badly unless you don't have the time to work through the technical issues. As long as you have a reasonable time frame, learning a red post production workflow isn't that difficult.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Red One 4K footage and AE
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:37:15 am

I've done a few projects with RED 4k footage, and although the finished product was dumped on HD for most of them (one ended up as a 2k projected in a movie theater), most effects and grading where done at 4k. I was using CS4 at the time- latest upgrades from Adobe and RED. It gets a bit confusing when it comes to color management but nothing you can't handle with a bit of reading. I would also recommend investing in CS5 and some RAM (that is if you have a 64 bit OS).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:58:27 pm

> I'm grading a short film edited in vegas and graded in AE. CS5 works fine with r3ds; although Adobe has not yet integrated the latest color science from Red.

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update incorporates the new color science support.

Details are here.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:52:08 pm
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:29:40 am

Todd, this update was from May 2010. I'm talking about the newer color science released by Red in RedCine-X in November. I don't know when it made it into the SDK. The new color science provides Redcolor2 and Redgamma2.

Redcolor2 provides a very different result than using AE with redcolor and selecting version 2; that is not redcolor2.

Any news on this update?

Thanks!
Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 11:22:16 pm

What I pointed you to is the newest update that we've integrated.

Regarding the _new_ new changes for color science and gamma...
I can't comment on the details of future software releases, but I can say that we continue to be committed to supporting the current RED systems in a timely manner. ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 1:38:03 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:29:51 am

Ok. Well given that my options are to wait patiently for the update, I suppose I'll pick that option!
Thanks Todd.
Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Alan FloodRe: Red One 4K footage and AE
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:48:07 pm

Thanks a lot guys - you've all been really helpful and I appreciate it a lot. I've only got 4GB of RAM on my home machine and while it is a 64bit system with a 3Ghz quad core I don't think I'm up for this just yet so I passed. It wasn't actually the kind of video-editing I thought it might be anyway - it's basically a mountain of rotoscoping, keying and color correction which would be a nightmare for me in any case but with the small amount of RAM I've currently got at home it'd probably be a right killer altogether.

Thanks for chipping in with the info though everyone. It's very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:32:08 pm
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:30:07 am

Well pass the client to me then! :) I'm quite comfortable with red footage on a slower system then what you have.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]