ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 corrupting source files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DJ BouzoureneAfter Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:44:50 pm

We've noticed since upgrading to 10.6 that After Effects is having serious issues with source files.

the source files are on the server, generally TIFF or TGA format.

As After Effects references them and they are displayed / rendered / accessed individually by After Effects. it will occasionally pop up an error dialogue box that states a frame is missing. When checked, that frame in the source folder is suddenly corrupted... a frame that had no issue what-so-ever beforehand. Usually it has a huge pink stripe through it, or green distortion... if it isn't entirely un-readable.

The issue seems to correspond with extended usage of AE (it will happen more often if you haven't restarted a machine in a while) but can still occur upon a fresh boot. ??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:28:59 pm

Let's eliminate an obvious issue: do you have the free update to AE 10.0.1?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

DJ BouzoureneRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:16:48 pm

Yep with the latest update for AE CS5

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:18:02 pm

[DJ Bouzourene] "We've noticed since upgrading to 10.6 that After Effects is having serious issues with source files... the source files are on the server, generally TIFF or TGA format... that frame in the source folder is suddenly corrupted... a frame that had no issue what-so-ever beforehand... The issue seems to correspond with extended usage of AE (it will happen more often if you haven't restarted a machine in a while) but can still occur upon a fresh boot. ??"

I would be really, really surprised if this were really an After Effects problem. AE shouldn't be trying to write to those files at all.

I'd suspect a client or server issue first. AE's uptime isn't the only variable here that goes along with your system restarts -- your system and your connection to the server are also variables that will be affected by a reboot.

What kind of server are you connecting to? How are you connecting?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:25:34 pm

It's not often I can add to Walter's comments, but if the servers' OS wasn't updated along with the computers, it could very likely be a source of problems.

It's the reason why we still run AE 8 at my workplace. Thank goodness I have Win 7 at home.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

DJ BouzoureneRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:35:05 pm

OSX Server 10.6.5 connected using AFP. all client are Mac running OSX 10.6.4

Thx.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:42:02 pm

Does it happen on more than one client? Does it happen if you connect with SMB?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Randy CatesRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on May 9, 2011 at 2:56:09 pm

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring on this subject. I'm using AE CS5 on an iMac running most recent OS. System has icore7 proc. 12GB RAM 1 TB internal and 1TB external (not a server).

I'm editing with HD files in the MXF format. I've rendered and imported audio (WAV), still graphics (jpg, ai, psd) and pre rendered animations (.MOV) when the first file corrupted. I re-built the entire file from scratch and saved a backup as well and everything was running fine (including outputting multiple test renders) on Friday when I shut the system down for the weekend.

This morning I start my system, go to open my file and it has been corrupted again. Between building the first and second files I looked for and found the 10.0.1 upgrade, downloaded it and was when attempting to install but got a message CS5 could not use this upgrade (my words).

I've always felt AE is rock solid and question the problem being AE. Still, I'm not seeing any resolution. Any help would be appreciated. Getting pretty backed up here.

Thanks.
Randy Cates

Randy Cates
Video Production/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Randy CatesRe: After Effects CS5 corrupting source files
by on May 9, 2011 at 3:59:02 pm

Problem Solved.

This project is the first time I've tried outputting smart comps from Premiere CS5 for green screening and motion graphics creation in After Effects. I've just always worked separately but the work load has forced me to start taking advantage of the tools available. As such I wasn't aware I needed to have Premiere open in order to access my files in AE.

It dawned on me after I thought about it that the source material originated in Premiere and it may have had to be open to get at the video. In my case any way this is what I was experiencing.

Sorry for the false flag.
R.Cates

Randy Cates
Video Production/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]