ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 and XDCAM EX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Nichols
CS5 and XDCAM EX
on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:52:49 pm

I am working on a project with XDCAM EX footage and some clips can't just be imported in After FX. I get this error message: "After Effects error: Error (4) reading frame from file" (86:2)".
It's only a couple of clips that just play fine in FCP or QT player. I have been working with XDCAM EX for 3 years now and never had a problem until I upgraded to CS5 :( Any idea ? It looks like AE can't see the file as a valid .mov file, because if I look at the codec it says MPEG and not XDCAM EX as it should be. I've tried to delete the clip and re-import it with FCP, but it did not change anything.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS5 and XDCAM EX
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:16:32 pm

If you haven't run the free update to AE 10.0.1, do it now.

Then understand that XDCam is compressed using mpeg compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:49:12 pm

I have the latest version available.

I know that XDCAM EX is indeed MPEG-2 encapsuled as an MP4 file. When you import it with FCP it is converted to QT with the XDCAM EX codec.

But that does not explain why AE does not see some file as QT but still as MPEG file (that seems to be the problem). I tried that on another machine and it worked fine. This happens on a 12-core Mac Pro. When MP rendering is not enabled, it seems to get a little better... So I suspect a hardware bug.

Anyone had this kind of trouble ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:16:44 pm

I don't think AE can see QT's XDCam EX codec for some reason. Are you running QT 7 or QT 10, which can only be described as a work in progress?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:38:12 pm

I am running QT 10 on both machines. Or maybe it has something to do with my Kona card... I found a workaround by re-exporting manually the clips from FCP. I think the problem is with clips that have the same name that some older clips from another projects, but it still does not make sense.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:52:29 pm

[Steven Nichols] "I am running QT 10 on both machines."

On the FCP forum, people recommend QT 7 rather than QT 10, which is more consumer-oriented. You should find the installer on your Final Cut Suite installation disks in a special folder. Ask about the proper procedure on the FCP forum, and you should be good to go.

[Steven Nichols] "Or maybe it has something to do with my Kona card..."

More than likely, it's your AJA drivers that are iffy.

There are known issues with them and AE. The AJA folks are working on a fix, the Adobe folks are testing new drivers, but they're not yet to the point of saying, "here are the new AJA drivers for AE."

If you search for the word AJA in this forum, a post or twenty from the last couple-few weeks ought to surface, describing what to do for now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:55:59 am

I had the latest drivers, the one that were updated for CS5. I experienced some trouble before (a hue shift with motion JPEG codec when previewing the comp with the Kona card) but nothing quite like that with XDCAM EX. This is definitely a nasty bug :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:23:30 pm

[Steven Nichols] "I had the latest drivers, the one that were updated for CS5."

That's the problem -- EVERYBODY has the latest drivers, the ones that were updated for CS5. There's a known issue with them. They're working on it at AJA and Adobe. The fix isn't available yet. Kapiche?

The workaround for the moment is to uninstall the AJA drivers for AE 10. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but for right now that's the way it is.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:57:43 pm

I think you are getting confused because there are 2 distinct issues here.

The know issues with Aja and CS5 occur EVERYTIME you use specific codecs (MJPEG...). Lots of people have been reporting it over the www. I got in touch with Aja's tech support and they released a fix for that last week. I installed it and there is no shift color bug anymore.

However as I said the XDCAM EX problem does not occur with every XDCAM EX clip, only a couple of files. If it was a simple Aja driver issue, don't you think that would affect ALL the XDCAM EX clips ? I will try that on another machine with another Aja card. Besides, what about the error messages regarding multiprocessing ? Not sure - again - this is just a driver issue.

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:43:15 pm

I tried importing the very same clip that causes this bug on another Mac with another Kona card and it worked just fine. So this is definitely not a Aja driver issue, probably more a multi processor error as I suspected...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]