ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Soft image render problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Garcia
Soft image render problem
on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:16:03 am

Hello COW,

I am having a problem with rendering in the render queue that I have never encountered before.

I have a 1280x720 square pixels project with a camera move. I have no motion blur in any of the layers or the switch on. The image looks crisp and detailed, but when I render out, the result is always blurred no matter which setting I use. I have tried Quicktime with different codecs and sizes as well as TIFF and Targa sequences but nothing makes the image look as intended and displayed in AE.

What is going on? Are there any known bugs with version CS4 9.0.3.8?

Any help very appreciated,

Thanks,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Soft image render problem
on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:37:35 pm

You are rendering it out at full resolution, right?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:23:16 pm

[Daniel Garcia] "Are there any known bugs with version CS4 9.0.3.8?"

Only its inability to deal with long-gop video footage, which AE 10 fixes. Here's an explanation:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:00:11 pm

your not rendering with opengl are you? the option is in the render settings from the render queue, click the render settings and make sure 'use opengl renderer' is not checked.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Daniel Garcia
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:24:31 pm

First of all, thanks so much for your help and apologies for my delay in replying.

To: Michael Szalapski:

Yes Michael, full res.

To Dave LaRonde:

That is good to know Dave, actually, the footage is HDCAM, so I guess it should have been ok with it.

To Kevin Camp:

I was indeed rendering with OpenGL on, but turning it off didn't sort out the problem in this instance.

What I found was that, when switching off the Depth of field setting on the camera, the video would actually render as in the RAM preview. The effect of the depth of field in RAM preview was minimal so I didn't need it to be on. What I still cannot understand is how the render from the queue was so soft that you couldn't even distinguish people's faces. Would the fact that some of these layers had a lens blur effect on the reason for this? Was there some kind of incompatibility between the camera depth of field settings and the usage of lens blur even when the RAM preview was crystal clear??

Thanks guys,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:38:38 pm

I know this is an older message, but I'm still curious about it. I can't replicate the issue you were experiencing. Any chance of a project file (without the footage, of course)?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Garcia
on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:50:51 pm

Sure, I still have it. Can I email it to you?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:18:33 pm

Yup. It's a Gmail.com address: SZALAMProductions

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Petrache Nicolae
on May 24, 2013 at 4:26:48 pm

i have the same issue and have found that if i deactivate render with opengl, the project will look perfect. the moment i use opengl, the image is broken.

any solution to this? i spended 1000$ on an nvidia card wich is supported by adobe for opengl hardware rendering just to end up not using?

if i use opengl, the project is done in 15 min, if i don't use opengl (so software mode), the p[roject is done in 2-3 hours?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]