ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing dead pixels or lens flares with AFX?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Morgado
Removing dead pixels or lens flares with AFX?
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:45:05 pm

Hey guys.
So. We shot this beautiful one shot exterior, night scene with a Canon 7D. Everything works great except we ended up with a couple of light dot flares that look about the size of a dead pixel.
They're pale pale white so the motion tracker works about 50/50 when it comes to tracking it correctly.
is rotoscoping my only option here guys? or is there some other way?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Removing dead pixels or lens flares with AFX?
on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:30:16 pm

you can try tracking with Mocha- track a plane using points around the flare (buildings, windows...) - links masks to that track info, round ones over the flares with feathered edge to poke holes through the image- then comp over a the same image and shift a few pixels to eliminate the flare.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

David Morgado
on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:57:07 pm

Thanks!
I've actually never tried Mocha but i hear its the norm for tracking and removing stuff. What would you say it's learning curve is? Ohh well, i'll keep it in mind for my next flare problems. Im actually 'bout 3/4ths in on the rotoscoping now.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:17:32 pm

Learning Mocha took me 5 minutes- it's really easy and straightforward for basic stuff. Definitely worth a try- it will save you lots of time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:44:14 pm

Here's a quick project file I made. You can turn it into an animation preset or just replace your video with it. It is two cc simple wire removals set in crosshair formation so that they only change a single pixel or two. Simply drag the Null to the center of the bad pixel and you're done!

ae cs3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6BX5CDPN

also, you can use AE's tracker with it or even paste the tracker data into clone stamp's position for some sophisticated repair work. Mocha can do planar tracking too.
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/larsen_carl/simple25d_rig_removal.p...

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

David Morgado
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:37:41 pm

I'll give it a try sometime later. Somehow im missing CC simple wire removal effect from my version of AE.Im getting a new one as we speak.
Still, i checked it out and would seem to work fine enough. A great idea if i ever manage to track the damm thing well enough which i haven't been able to do.
I can't download Mocha just yet. but will give it a try. thank you guys really.
Loving Creative Cow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]