ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fluorescent Tube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt RobinsonFluorescent Tube
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:59:03 am

Hi all,

I am wanting to create a fluorescent tube light effect and am a bit stumped are there any good tutorials on creating this effect? I am thing mask a white solid, add glow and add a point light? But unsure, help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards MD

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Fluorescent Tube
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:34:27 pm

You would only need to add a light to the scene if the other layers in your scene are 3d and I would add a bunch of point lights along the length of the layer and tie their values together with expressions to a controller layer so that you can control them all at once.
Why more than one? A fluorescent tube isn't a point; it's a line. It's the best AE way I can think of to fake that.
If you add a bit of a wiggle (amount controlled by a slider on the controller layer) on each light's brightness you could also get that horrible flicker that fluorescents provide.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Fluorescent Tube
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 5:25:42 pm

If you do not have extensive camera moves in a 3d space (that is if you even have a 3d comp) you are on the right track with the idea of a shape and glow. Using the shape or even image of a florescent tube with a glow in a 32bit comp with a intensity/radius animation to give the flicker is a good way to go.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved