ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slow Motion Sweat Drops

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossSlow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:03:27 pm

So I'm doing one of these super slow motion deals with a still image slightly animated to look like some 1000fps slowmo. It's a stylized project, as apposed to something photo realistic, so I have some creative flexibility.

I'd like to make some drops of sweat flying off of athletes some how. I'm pretty sure I've seen something somewhere using bubbles, but probably a particle system, right? I'd also like it to work with cameras. I'm sure the best thing is a carefully planned project with elements generated in a 3D program, but that's way out of my league.

If anybody could point me to a tutorial or help out with a few ideas that would be awesome.

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:06:57 pm

If you have particular, you might be able to get away with using some prerendered sweat drops created in AE using the Foam effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:16:34 pm

Foam! That's the one I was trying to think of. Thanks.

I don't have Particular though. I'm trying foam right now and it seams that this one doesn't work with cameras either. It does have some perfect presets though, get's me very close to what i want. I may just go with this as it's perfect except for the 3D, but the athlete is 2D anyway so it may work just fine.

The only 3D droplet thingy in AE are probably the Particle systems, right? Probably go with CC Particle World if I need depth in the droplets.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:20:10 pm

I haven't played enough with Particle World to know if it gives you the flexibility as Particular to use something created by the foam effect. It's certainly worth checking out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:18:00 pm

if you don't have particular, cc particle world should work and it will react correctly with 3d camera.

videocopilot.net has a tutorial using particular to create movement motivated particle dispersion that seems appropriate to what you're doing. it's called something like speed particles, and it reminded me of a dog shaking water off... i'd have to watch it again to see if can be adapted to particle world, but i think it could.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:21:51 pm

Another thought: If you create a precomp that has a camera in it linked to the main comp so that the behavior is the same, you can use Particular in that precomp to create a matte that you could use for a combination of distortion and color correction effects to look like liquid. Or, since it's so slow moving, you could try this technique [link] on several layers offset in 3d space.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Slow Motion Sweat Drops
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:01:20 pm

You can try to use also the techniques in this tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE/1

A mixture of 2.5D and 3d displacement

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]