ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking a building model in driveby footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen turcotte
Tracking a building model in driveby footage
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:39:34 pm

I have a client who is asking me to track a 3d building model (3ds) into driveby footage of the future site. I have after effects cs4 and mocha v2. Is there any way to have the building integrated into the moving footage and locked in place?

My other option is to use a sketch up rendering of the building as if a car is driving by it, the problem with this is that the speed of the sketch up render and footage don't match and Im having a rough time matching these up.

My ideal would be to put a 3d model in, lock it in place, and have it change scale and perspective as the footage drives closer.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tracking a building model in driveby footage
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:12:57 pm

Since the footage of the driveby already exists, you have to place this 3D model into the existing scene, which means the heavy lifting has to be done in C4D.

I'd look into 3D matchmove software like Syntheyes. It can generate camera position data for C4D. As far as I know, it WON'T scale & position the C4D model properly in 3D space; I'd expect the C4D artist can handle that, and you can composite the artist's render in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:45:37 pm

One other way to do it if you can track the camera data from your clip like Dave suggested with Syntheyes, Camera Tracker or Boujou (Voodoo can do that as well and it's free). Then if the building permits ( if it's a building that can be simulated with flat surfaces, cubic building blocks) you can actually build a 3d model in AE using 2d textured planes. You can actually get pretty complex with that - if you have time check my demo reel (5.1) here on the Cow. Somewhere in the middle there are a few buildings (4) morphing from one shot to another. 2 are done in with a 3d package and 2 in AE entirely and most people did not think that possible.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

stephen turcotte
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:47:56 pm

Thanks for the information. So I would need a program like syntheses- would pixel farm pfhoe tracking software work as well? Unfortunately I don't have access to c4d so I'd be looking for another solution this time around. If I tracked the footage in one of the tracking programs would it be possible to attach the model to that movement in ae?

I would be willing to purchase inexpensive tracking software, so any solution that would involve that and AE would be wonderful, if possible.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:03:55 pm

[stephen turcotte] "...I don't have access to c4d so I'd be looking for another solution this time around...."

Ouch.

As long as you AND THE CLIENT understand that this building rendered from C4D will NOT change perspective during this driveby, that's fine.

Imagine driving by the site of the building, and shooting a billboard of the building at full scale. The building will be in 3D perspective, but it will be a 2D representation of it, so the perspective doesn't change as the perspective of everything around it changes. That's what it's going to look like, and it's something that you ought to be able to do with a planar tracker like Mocha.

Is that what both you and the client expect to see? If not, you got some 'splainin' to do, and the client has some deciding to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:42:38 am

footage could be solved by the foundry's 3d tracker then use zaxwerks 3d invigorator all without leaving AE!

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

stephen turcotte
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:07:34 pm

Does anyone have a tutorial on how one would ideally execute this? I would like to know what programs would be involved and the workflow that would be needed to create this. Thanks to everyone who has responded and given input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]