ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Seperate Fields on tiff-sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ninetto makavejev
Seperate Fields on tiff-sequence?
on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:47:10 am

Hello,

I have recieved a tiff-sequence from an Avid-export and I am not sure how to deal with the interlace artifacts that are apparenct in the tiffs. The original source was interlaced PAL.

From what I understand about AVID, it cannot export individual fields as tiffs, but rather both fields are present in the tiff, hence the artifacts I am seeing.

Should I interpret the footage as "separate fields" or export as an interlaced file, so that the "fields" present in the tiffs return to where they belong in an interlaced export from AE?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Seperate Fields on tiff-sequence?
on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:12:01 pm

Why not test it and find out?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:21:32 pm

Yup, I'm with Michael: it's either going to be 25 fps upper field first, or 25 fps lower field first. That's pretty easy to figure out using a section of footage with a little motion in it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:19:00 pm

Ummm... I believe there is a misunderstanding here. The question was not : upper or lower... but rather how to deal with tif-sequences in general from AVID. As "separate fields" or "no fields". To be more precise: if I pick "separate fields" will AE actually produce two different fields from one tif? hiside, Ninetto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:22:22 pm

[ninetto makavejev] "will AE actually produce two different fields from one tif?"

Yes. Image sequences can contain field order, and AE can deal with them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:43:02 pm

[ninetto makavejev] "Should I interpret the footage as "separate fields" or export as an interlaced file"

if you choose not to separate fields, you should render as progressive to maintain the fields that are already present with in the frames.

if you choose to separate fields, you can render progressive or interlaced -- if you choose to render progressive, you should enable the preserve edges option to help make hard edges a little smoother. if you notice some fluttering around the edges during play back, try enabling frame blending (frame mix) for the footage. that will use the data from the second field and usually helps to smooth that out.

there are situations where you'd have to separate fields.

if you have interlaced footage, you have to choose to separate fields if you are going to manipulate the vertical position, vertical scale, or rotation of the footage in ae or you will get terrible artifacting, no matter how you output the file (interlaced or progressive).

likewise, if you are keying, when you shrink the key, you will then remove fields around the edges, which may produce somewhat strange movement, as the material within the key will be interalced, but the edges won't be.

if you are adding motion graphics to the footage, then you should also choose to separate fields, or your footage will be interlaced and you motion graphics will not... in some cases this may not be a big deal, in others it may look strange.

as i mentioned before, once separate fields is enabled, you can choose to render either interlace or progressive.

if you are not doing anything like that, say you're only doing color correction, then you could choose not to separate fields, and then render as progressive (which will maintain each frame the way it is, with interlacing) and everything will be fine.

if it is going back to avid, when they import it, they need to know that the field order is the same as what they gave you.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:20:57 pm

Excellent answer Kevin, this was exactly the info I spent hours looking for on the internet. This is pure gold, THANKS a MILLION!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]