ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt GiorioAE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:13:47 am

Ok, So I just upgraded to AE CS5 from CS4 and I now can't render my project. Each time I attempt to do so, AE crashes without any warning at all. Also, I'm not able to create img seq's. Does anyone out there know why this might be happening? I am out of ideas over here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am only attempting to output a 30s comp to a QT (animation+) using the following plugins:
Ramp, Tint, Gaussian blur, Compound blur, and Twirl

MY SYSTEM:
OS X 10.6.6
2.66 QUAD CORE Intel Xeon
6 GB RAM
AE 10.01.19
QT 7.6.6
QT X

AE settings:
Multiprocessing turned off
And using 3gb of ram out of 6gb
OpenGL is turned on (I should add that I can render using the openGL renderer, but would rather not do that)

Return to posts index

Christopher R. GreenRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:08:48 am

To get some clues, you might open the Console app (/Applications/Utilities/) and dig around in the Console Messages (log) and System log.
The crash may have generated a message, although those messages can be pretty cryptic.
It may be an OpenGL issue. Try turning it off (prefs/previews) and see if that changes anything.

Was there anything else installed between CS4 and CS5 before you started this render? (Including fonts)

Have other renders worked in CS5?

-cg

Return to posts index

Matt GiorioRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:09:30 am

Yes, I just was looking at the log and didn't come across anything obvious. So I disabled each plugin one by one and rendered. What I figured out was that the twirl effect was the culprit and causing AE to crash. Kind of strange if you ask me.

Thanks Chris

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:57:20 am

Please submit a bug report if you think that you have found a bug, especially if you can repeat it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:09:47 am

You listed plenty of variables. You need to eliminate them.

Can you render anything? If not, that's one set of troubleshooting steps (remove all adobe, reboot, reinstall). If so, then you gradually need to add in the variables to rebuild your current file (copy and paste).

Can you render to another codec or sequence?

You'll likely find a particular layer, with a particular asset with a particular effect causing the issue. Whatever that is, once you identify it only then can you take steps to resolve it.

These are basic, non-comprehensive troubleshooting questions. The point is look at all the variables (every layer, every effect, video and audio codecs/containers/settings, etc) and test to remove the possibility that each one is not the cause. That is a lot of work, so you break things down to their simplest forms to quickly test this as the questions above touch on. You'll need to do more.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Matt GiorioRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:28:07 pm

Cory, it was the twirl effect that was causing AE to crash while rendering. AE renders like a champ now. Not sure if it's a bug or what not. So I'm going to try and recreate the issue later on today.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS5 crashes every single time I attempt to render
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:06:12 pm

[Matt Giorio] "OpenGL is turned on (I should add that I can render using the openGL renderer, but would rather not do that)"

This is where you should start your investigation. It's a VERY common cause of AE weirdness.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]