ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Aspect ratio issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruadhri Brennan
Aspect ratio issue
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:06:29 pm

Hi all,

How can I render something in after effects or even premiere pro so that it has a locked aspect ratio? In that a media player such as vlc player will play it automatically as widescreen without me having to go to the video settings and changing the aspect ratio from there.. I've checked the composition settings to make sure that it's set at D1/DV Pal Widescreen (720x576), I've even rendered it with square pixel checked in the comp settings but to no avail. If I burn the file to DVD it seems fine but never when playing the rendered file on the computer. I've looked in previous posts but I can't quite find the same problem. Can anyone help? Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Aspect ratio issue
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:23:45 pm

[Ruadhri Brennan] "a media player such as vlc player will play it automatically as widescreen without me having to go to the video settings and changing the aspect ratio from there."

not all players will handle non-square pixels correctly, though i thought that vlc did. you can make sure that you have the latest version of the player - though since you can manually tell it how to compensate for widescreen par, i assume that's not the problem.

another problem can be that not all codecs contain the pixel aspect ratio in their data, so if the player doesn't see that info in the codec, then it just assumes it is square until you tell it otherwise.

if a codec will maintain the par data, then that would be set in the render settings.

[Ruadhri Brennan] " I've checked the composition settings to make sure that it's set at D1/DV Pal Widescreen (720x576), I've even rendered it with square pixel checked in the comp settings but to no avail."

you wouldn't want to do it that way, 720x576 is a non-square frame size, so setting that to a square par would never help.

you would need to set the par settings in the render settings to match the comp's or, you could try is dropping the non-square comp into a square pixel comp preset, like the pal widescreen square pixel preset, then render that as square pixel (since it is now square).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dan Browne
Re: Aspect ratio issue
on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:09:41 pm

I'd just calculate what that ratio is in square pixels. For web 16x9 stuff I usually use 640x360 with square pixels.

Dan Browne
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
http://www.indelible.co.nz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]