ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale solid without scaling effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paxson Woelber
Scale solid without scaling effect
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:18:59 pm

Hi again, I have what (should be) a simply problem. I'd like to know how to increase the side of a solid without scaling the effect on that solid.

The specific situation is smoke coming out of a chimney using CC Particle World, but the solid isn't anywhere near big enough to fill the frame. So it looks like the smoke goes up for 20 feet and then abruptly stops (at the edge of the solid).

When I try to change the size of the solid, it stretches and warps the effect, which looks bad.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Scale solid without scaling effect
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:44:35 pm

Change the actual size of the solid, not the scale.
I believe the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Y on the PC Cmd+Shift+Y on the Mac to get to the solid settings dialog.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paxson Woelber
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:51:23 pm

Changing the size of the solid (Layer -> Solid Settings) changes the scale of the effect. I wonder if this is particular to the effect - I'm using CC Particle World. ..?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 11, 2011 at 7:31:03 pm

[Paxson Woelber] "I wonder if this is particular to the effect - I'm using CC Particle World. ..?"

quite possibly, cc particle world uses value that are based on the layer's width property.

try moving the producer back in z-space (effect controls>producer>position z).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:06:56 pm

You can try saving the effect as a preset, removing it from the solid. Changing the solid settings size and then re-applying. i haven't tried this, it may work but I suspect that Particle world works out dimensions relative to the layer size so it may not work. Please let me know how you get on :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Brandon Davids
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:28:53 pm

FYI, I found this post and it worked. I had a mask with the Saber effect on it and the glow was getting cutoff by the solid's edges. I copied the mask by highlighting it and presseing CTRL + C and then deleted it. Then I changed the solid settings and pasted the mask back onto it. Worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]