ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bizarre Square Pixel Format?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ninetto makavejev
Bizarre Square Pixel Format?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29:56 pm

Hi,

a production house has delivered material - supposedly from a digibeta tape - in a pixel-format I have never seen before, and thus I smell a skunk... i.e. someone made a mistake.

The PAL file is automatically flagged in AE (CS4) as being:
720 x 576 (1.0) - SQUARE pixels.
This is not a graphic but live footage. I always assumed 768 x 576 is the proper size for square pixel PAL... or am I wrong?
What could be the source of this material: the bums at the production house are playing dumb... no info there.
Should I change the material interpretation to standard PAL 1.09 ? This stuff has to be rendered on the weekend, and nobody is claiming responsibilty for the client.
Any hints? Somebody seen this format before?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bizarre Square Pixel Format?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:57:59 pm

[ninetto makavejev] "I smell a skunk... 720 x 576 (1.0) - SQUARE pixels."

That's really weird. When you bring it into an AE comp by dragging it onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window, does the screen aspect ratio look wrong?

[ninetto makavejev] "Should I change the material interpretation to standard PAL 1.09 ?"

You can import the footage again, and change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.09 in AE's Interpret Footage settings. Then, do the same thing as above: drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon. Whichever one is 4x3 is the one to use, I'd say.

I suspect that for some bizarre reason, AE is interpreting the pixel aspect ratio incorrectly... or perhaps the footage was captured in the incorrect pixel aspect ratio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Jan 8, 2011 at 5:33:31 pm

Thanks for the response, Dave.
It appears that CS4 was intepreting the file incorrectly. In any case, over at a workstation with CS5 the file shows up as what one would expect, 1.09/720x576.

Strange tho' is that AE is still insisting that this uncompressed AVI is with "LOWER" field first. I have never seen that in uncompressed, only upper or none.
So something is still fishy. I hate it when you get garbage or no info from clients and have to spend extra energy doing unpaid detective work!

hoping for the best,
Ninetto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:35:18 pm

You can check the footage's field order by putting it in a comp that uses twice the frame rate as the footage. When you step through the comp frame-by-frame, you're actually looking at fields.

Find a spot with fast motion in the footage. If the motion goes forward and backward as you step through it in the comp, you know the field order is incorrect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]