ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Internally glowing 3D surfaces in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne Laiho
Internally glowing 3D surfaces in AE?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:49:25 am

Hello,

pardon for a very general question, but I've been trying to figure out whether doing something like the end of this video, from 2:12 onwards would be possible within AE: (3D surfaces of sphere grids, glowing).

I've been trying to mess with freeform, ball action, and lights. I'm not getting even close - in the example video the dots seem to glow from within, and when they overlap, the glowing subsequently increases. I can't pull this off, and now I'm wondering whether a real 3D app would be needed for this type of visuals.

Cheers,
Janne

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Internally glowing 3D surfaces in AE?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:42:59 pm

I can't see your example due to restrictions on the network where I work, but from your description, it sounds like something AE can do. You could either use a plugin such as Form (and have the particles set to Add or you could do something like this tutorial [link] and set the layers to add or screen blending modes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:01:21 pm

Definetly done with Trapcode Form.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Tudor Jelescu
on Jan 7, 2011 at 6:58:16 pm

I may be wrong, but I think you wanted to know how to get the glowing effect on the discs/particles in such away that it appears the glow is from within. That is easily obtained by working at 32 bit in AE - apply a glow (not based on alpha) and play with the intensity and radius.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]