ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC Cylinder Alternative?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Paterson
CC Cylinder Alternative?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:07:37 am

Is there a more powerful alternative to CC Cylinder? I realized that it only makes one size of cylinder and then allows you to scale it on a percentage, which doesn't allow you any additional "mapping space" for larger textures.

Any similar plug-ins with more control?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: CC Cylinder Alternative?
on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:44:46 pm

the size of the cylinder is based on the size of the layer so a wider layer will have a larger radius.

i suppose if you had a specific radius value in pixels that you needed to create a cylinder with, you could actually calculate the width that you needed to create the layer to start with...

width = 2 * pi * radius

or if you needed to figure the radius of a cylinder that you already created...

radius = (2 * pi) / width

however, if the radius property was not 100%, you'd need to factor that into the equation too

radius = (2 * pi * percent) / (width * 100)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:58:02 pm

In addition to Kevin's method, here's another way to skin this cat: create a comp in the H&V resolution you want. Add that big ol' texture layer, scale it as desired, and get the surface looking the way you want.

Now bring this comp into your main comp, apply CC Cylinder, and you're good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 7, 2011 at 5:56:34 pm

yep... what we are both saying is that the size of the cylinder is based on the size of the layer (or nested comp) it is applied to, it's not restricted to the size of the comp that it is used in.

so if you have a 6000x6000 px layer in a 720x480 comp and apply cc cylinder, the height of the cylinder will be 6000px and the radius will be around 1000px.

please note that i made a mistake in the radius equation that i gave you. it should be like this:

radius = width / (2 * pi)

sorry about that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Jan 7, 2011 at 5:59:57 pm

Ah lovely, good to know. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>