ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clues about Roto brushing when selection jumps from object to entire frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry PutnamClues about Roto brushing when selection jumps from object to entire frame
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:59:17 am

Running Trial CS5

As sophisticated as the new Roto Brush is its still pretty easy to use especially if you've used the old extract filter for photoshop a lot.

However I keep hitting something that seems like it should not happen. After a few frames of the selection following my lead with the brush it suddenly jumps from the selected object (a person) to the border of the entire frame.

By sudden I mean in the space of a single frame. Advancing a frame at a time I see it happen in 1 frame. The odd thing is I don't see any really noticeable difference between the frame where the selection is near perfect and the next frame where the jump happens.

This is terribly shaky footage but again oddly, while this jump may occur in a shaky part it also occurs in reasonably steady sections too.

I'm putting two screen grabs on line showing a well selected frame and the very next frame where the selection has jumped.

I know how to retrieve the selection fairly quickly and go one with the footage but it has happened repeatedly now so I hoped there may be expert level adjustments or something that tykes like me (in terms of experience) wouldn't know about.

Jumping selection

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Clues about Roto brushing when selection jumps from object to entire frame
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:51:06 am

Here's the same answer that I gave you on a different forum:

The jump is occurring because the end of that Roto Brush span has been reached.

Please, please, watch the tutorials and read the documentation before trying to use Roto Brush. It is not a beginner tool; it is not an intuitive tool; it is one of the most advanced and tricky tools in the application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]