ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Kronos's MotionBlur vs. Reelsmart Motion Blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Tweed
Kronos's MotionBlur vs. Reelsmart Motion Blur
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:35:28 pm

Hello all,

I am doing a lot of 3D these days and want to get a motion blur plug-in for After Effects. I recently had to seriously re-time a shot and so downloaded the trial of Kronos and freakin' love it! I was happily typing away to my boss that we should buy it, but realized that I should probably do some more research.

I have been surfing the web for a little now and can find plenty of comparisons between Kronos and Twixtor, but none between MotionBlur (which is the motion blurring plug-in that comes with Kronos) and Reelsmart Motion Blur.

I almost blindly trust The Foundry due to past experiences with their products and so tend to think that they are the right choice, but thought that I would ask around first.

Thanks,

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Kronos's MotionBlur vs. Reelsmart Motion Blur
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:46:20 pm

A couple quick thoughts:

The latest version of Kronos supports GPU processing on NVIDIA cards, if you have one.

RE:Vision Effect's Reel Smart Motion Blur Pro (not the standard version) allows you to use a motion vector pass from your 3D app to drive the motion blur.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:25:11 pm

kronos can add motion blur to a layer based on the movement in another layer. It's a different method to render out from 3D apps, but the end result is the same.

but reelsmart motion blur can actually remove blur in -2 mode if you accidently shot with a slow shutter. it's faster too.

Did that help muddle the decision? :)

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:41:26 pm

Hey Chris,

kronos can add motion blur to a layer based on the movement in another layer.

This sounds like regular old optical flow data, how does it differ? Also, what kind of pass is this? I have 3DS Max and want to check it out.

Wow reverse motion blur? That sounds kind of cool! I don't know if you know 3DS Max, but I currently render my motion blur with the 'HDR Motion Blur' camera shader and sometimes it wiggs out and renders some overly blurred pixels...

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:58:43 pm

[Chris Wright] "kronos can add motion blur to a layer based on the movement in another layer. It's a different method to render out from 3D apps, but the end result is the same."

How does that work? I thought that feature was about looking at one layer for motion estimation and then applying the effect to another.

RSMB (which is the one I chose) can simply use a motion vector pass straight from my 3D app, avoiding any motion estimation to try to deduce the vectors (and therefore avoiding blobbing or the need for tweaks).

I'm not a Kronos user, so please let me know if I've misunderstood something.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:35:43 pm

Thanks Walter,

I have a quatro 4800, which renders Kronos almost realtime (a hell of a lot faster than the Timewarp plug-in).

RE:Vision Effect's Reel Smart Motion Blur Pro (not the standard version) allows you to use a motion vector pass from your 3D app to drive the motion blur.

How does this compare to not having motion vectors; in other words what kind of improvement do you see when using motion vectors? I have 3DS Max 2011. Also, doesn't Kronos support something like this?

Thanks,

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:22:43 am

Kronos uses layers for planar vectors. You add kronos/timewarp to a alpha moving layer(a precomped white solid from a 3D program) that is representive of the movement of the individual object. You add timewarp to the alpha layer and change warp layer to your final colored/textured model. It's kinda funky, but hey, what isn't?

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:15:02 am

I see... I tested it out and though this worked better, it had a little bit of artifacting. And you are right, it is a little funky (plus, what happens if you want to blur everything, and not just one object?).

Does anyone know if RSMB will give you perfect results if you export motion vectors?

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:06:27 am

use the matte layer with inverted alpha to remove artifacting and isolate multiple passes. plus use vectors 100%, smoothing 28. filter extreme. you can try RSMB as a trial and see if you like it better. nothings perfect, after all:)

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jan 8, 2011 at 9:51:08 pm

use the matte layer with inverted alpha to remove artifacting and isolate multiple passes. plus use vectors 100%, smoothing 28. filter extreme. you can try RSMB as a trial and see if you like it better. nothings perfect, after all:)

I applied Unmult to my matte layer and just put MotionBlur after it; this definitely served to clean up the blur a little bit but it still isn't perfect. It is much better though!

Well all of this has certainly served to muddle my decision further... I think that the deciding factor is that Twixtor is around $600 and RSMB is $80, while Kronos is $100 and includes both.

Our editor would seriously appreciate Kronos over Avid's Timewarp, so I should probably get it anyway...

Thanks everyone!
- Spencer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:21:45 pm

I've used RSMB Pro with motion vectors from C4D on my last couple projects, and I've been really happy with the results. Veering a little off-topic, Twixtor Pro can also import motion vectors for smoother time-remapping.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]