ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame Sequential workflow in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Evans
Frame Sequential workflow in AE
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:59:22 pm

Hello All.

I've done some searches here but haven't found anything. I have a project upcoming to produce some frame-sequential, 3D TV content. I am hoping to use AE for this.

Part of me wonders if setting the basic project up is a matter of creating a 60fps comp and setting each frame to output for 2 frames (one left and one right). Then it becomes a matter of working on the 3D content.

But I'm probably over-simplifying things.

Has anyone created a frame-sequential, 3D workflow in AE? What does it take? What was your rendering format? Are there plugins to help with this? I'm not looking for analgyph, the client is specifically asking for frame sequential.

Even possible in AE? (isn't EVERYthing possible in AE :)?

Any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Frame Sequential workflow in AE
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:14:34 pm

[John Evans] "'ve done some searches here but haven't found anything. I have a project upcoming to produce some frame-sequential, 3D TV content. I am hoping to use AE for this. Part of me wonders if setting the basic project up is a matter of creating a 60fps comp and setting each frame to output for 2 frames (one left and one right). Then it becomes a matter of working on the 3D content."

For motion graphics or animation, check out Chris Keller's awesome stereoscopic scripts for After Effects. I've used them a few times. The workflow is still a bit clunky because of AE's limitations, but these scripts are an incredibly well thought-out workaround for this, and they will save you hours and hours of work. The scrips are built to help you manage a stereoscopic camera rig in AE and preview your work inside After Effects with anaglyph glasses.

For working with stereoscopic footage, you might try Dashwood Stereo3D Toolbox. This is a Mac-only solution, and it works in FCP, too.

To actually output a frame-sequential sequence, I'd think you could just lay the 30fps right eye and left eye comps into a 60fps master comp, add two hold keyframes to the opacity property of the top layer on the first two frames (100% and 0%), then add a loopOut expression to the second keyframe.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Frame Sequential workflow in AE
on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10:00 pm

[John Evans] (isn't EVERYthing possible in AE :)?

Absolutely ... in fact, I've heard AE CS6 will even have a brush to tailor an expensive suit to fit the editor ... no mention of how to digitize the fabric though ... obviously, I'm just kidding ... everyone knows editors spontaneously combust if we have to wear a suit. Sorry ... couldn't help myself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]